Trumpy 1/48 Spiteful OOB build

jenko

Ok so here's the beasty.... :devil:

007-3.jpg

Right from the start the aircraft depicted is a Mk 16 not a 14. :shithappens:

Painting guide........

001-4.jpg

Ah... we have a white spinner and tail band.......interesting....not sky?? Edgar if you tell me they got it right I will scream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :jump_fire:

003-6.jpg

Very fine and a lot of it RIVETS....(Bill Clark will be in heaven here) and a engraved ring in the radio hatch to cut out for a camera port.......... not seen one on any Spiteful. More :shithappens:

Construction

006-4.jpg

Cockpit is as shallow as an Accadamy Hunter and just look at those intakes.... nice bit of mesh, pitty no guts behind them....at least it will let the air through. ;)

Right I'm back of to the bench as I'm having plastic withdrawl symptoms. :analintruder:

Until next time dear reader........................................... did I hear someone say this is an accurate kit???....... go and put your straight jackect back on!!!!! :doh:

Edited by jenko

I have read somewhere that the cockpit wasnt as comfortable as a spit and that ones feet felt like they were higher than your bottom.Maybe a shallow pit is correct.

I have read somewhere that the cockpit wasnt as comfortable as a spit and that ones feet felt like they were higher than your bottom.Maybe a shallow pit is correct.

In this case when adding a pilot cut the foot to kneecap part of the body in half!!! :P

It's that shallow. :blink:

Edited by jenko

yep. very different to the Spitfire. this is a Seafang pit, note the height of the 'floor' in front of the seat..

seafang-5.jpg

spinner and band are sky.

3070983226_f1e8910595_o.jpg

more pics here

http://airwar.ru/enc/fww2/spitful.html

http://airwar.ru/enc/fww2/seafang.html

HTH

T

Jeffrey Quill was not in favor of the new "improved" seating position. It was meant to increase G tolerance, but by leaning back Quill thought it made it more tiring whilst looking out for the hun in the sun.

bob

Next update.

Firstly thanks Troy for that info, very, very helpful.

Ok... Painted up the cockpit black. Trumpy supply a decal for instrument panel......so lets look at the decal sheet... :partytime:

DPP_0041.jpg

That was exciting wasn't it??? :D

Seriously ...in register and some good options for "what ifs" roundel colours are not correct (so what's new?) These will have to be replaced.

DPP_0042.jpg

Instument decal in place and part of the seat belts added using painted masking tape. A bit of dry brushing to add interest (when the hood is on you will see very little). :P

DPP_0043.jpg

The fuselage sides showing the rest of the cockpit...... sorry stating the obvious!!! ;)

DPP_0044.jpg

Sides and cockpit all put together, and also the wings.....the fit is superb...honest :thumbsup2:

DPP_0045.jpg

Close up of the completed cockpit with harness. It's very dark in there :door:

Well so far so good. This is going to be an easy build, with very few snags.

Surface detail is some of the best I have seen and so is the fit.

(Hope the [pictures are better......got the big camera out!!)

So until next time dear reader........... happy modelling

Edited by jenko

That looks like a decent enough kit, I suppose you'd want to trick out the cockpit and rebuild the spine decking aft of the pilots seat if you wanted the canopy open, but it looks like its designed for the canopy to be assembled closed.

The only thing that stands out from this set of pics, and from this review over on Modeling Madness http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/korean/...tmcspiteful.htm is the depth of the radiators, they look to be about twice as deep as the original. Shouldn't be hard to fix with some sanding of the mating faces on flat surface.

It looks like a Spiteful to me but I'm no expert, is there anything else to look out for?

Hmm. The photo here and the picture of the box art look verysimilar don't they!!??

Not the first time either. The Trumpy 1/72 Lightning F6 box art was based on a well known photograph for example.

It is a great kit in terms of quality of mouldings and overall fit. Mine looks like it will need a touch of filler at the wing roots but nothing major. I am thoroughly enjoying building mine.

New update 28/04/12

As I see that Andrew Jones is doing what I would call the ultimate job on this kit. See here I thought I would turn mine into an OOB build as I feel this is what most of us would do.

Anyway back to the build...... Radiators were stuck on and needed a little help to stay in place and not have any gaps.

DPP_0041-1.jpg

All the wingy bits put on and ready for the canopy bits. :D

DPP_0044-1.jpg

DPP_0043-1.jpg

So far so good ......... then I was about to fit the canopy and........there is a ridge running along it's length. See below. :yikes:

DPP_0042-1.jpg

Oh well, that's my saturday sorted. I'm off to do some polishing......good job it's raining!!!

More soon.......................................

Looking good Jenko , this kits not as bad as some people feared it would be.

Too right Andrew .....it's almost a weekend build.

Well the polishing of the canopy took less time than I thought;, so off to the paint shop. :partytime:

Sky fuselage band and yellow leading edges first.

DPP_0042-2.jpg

Left over night to dry. I'm using Xtra colour enamel. Then masked up for the first of the top coats....Ocean grey.

DPP_0044-2.jpg

Let me say at this point I do not do weathering on my aircraft. I like them straight out of the factory or as you would see them in a museum. (It's just me!!! OK) ;)

I'm that noted for this that at the recent Kent Model Show I went and bought some weathering gear. The rest of my club wanted to put me into rehab and seek medical advice !!!! :lol:

More soon when the paint is dry................................

Edited by jenko

• 2 weeks later...

I'm calling this one done now.

DPP_0041-3.jpg

Did a few mods towards the end. Added a pitot tube, drilled out the exhausts; decals from the spare box as the kit ones are too small and wrong shades. But as they say the rest is all out of the box. (and I added the seat Andrew!!)

Conclusions:

Ignoring the inaccuracies that Andrew Jones has put right on his rendition; this is a good kit. It's well engineered; goes together well (no filler at all) and looks like Spitefull. The decals are crap and the instructions could have more detail ie. better painting information. It calls for after market goodies especially on those intakes

Would I buy another one??? Why would I? It never entered squadron service and to make more you would have to do what if's. (TSR2 time again)

An enjoyable build and different.

Edited by jenko