1/48 Phantom F4K FG.1

Merry christmas all!

This was supposed to be for the world naval forces group build, but I got bored in the past couple of weeks and decided to build this for my dads christmas present. He served on 892NAS throughout and siad that the Colonial Zap was his favourite aircraft.

This zap came about when 892 squadron were operating from NAS Oceana on the last cruise of the Ark Royal in 1978, the US mob decided to paint stars on the fuselage and then paint over Royal with Colonial. It is an interesting subject.

The kit is the Revell FGR2 which has been fitted to be an FG.1, with slotted stabilisers and the extended noseleg (but in the retracted position) from my FG.1 kit. The kit is spot on as we would expect, some issues with the intakes as we all know. I decided to add home made evergreen FOD covers to rectify the short length of the intake track. Remove before flight tags were printed and glued on. The seats were the excellent airwaves Martin Baker Mk7's.

THe kit was painted using Tamiya Ocean Grey AS-10 rattle can as I feel that this gives a nice weathered EDSG. Lower surfaces were in Citadel Skull White Primer.

Decals were from the excellent model alliance set and were set using Micro Sol, which got them into the finely recessed panel lines.

Weathering was achieved with washes of Tamiya flat black, dark grey and smoke colours. A dusting of highly thinned tamiya dark sea grey was blotched over to add that weathered feel of the actual aircraft. This was finally sealed in with humbrol spray satin varnish.

The metal areas were done using Halfords wheel paint and shading with humbrol metalcote (i think it was titanium but who knows!)

My dad loves it! It was great fun to build and with his knowledge of the subject and I achieved a model I am proud of. I have another 2 to build in addition to a zapped USMC Italeri F4J for the group build. The encouragement and inspiration from this site is brilliant!

MErry Christmas and enjoy

Anthony

P1000765.jpg

P1000766.jpg

P1000767.jpg

P1000769.jpg

P1000770.jpg

P1000773.jpg

P1000774.jpg

P1000775.jpg

P1000778.jpg

P1000779.jpg

P1000781.jpg

And some in build

DSCF0039.jpg

P1000537.jpg

P1000538.jpg

Anthony

• Like 1

Looks great fella :thumbsup:

Looking forward to seeing more builds like this in the Naval GB ;)

:ditto::stupid:

That looks bloody amazing :gobsmacked::wub:

Thanks for sharing :thumbsup2:

Bex

Very nice Anthony!

I plan on building an FG.1 for the Naval Forces GB. I have ALWAYS loved Phantoms in Royal Navy markings.

I too have that decal sheet (although I'm not as partial to the "Colonial Navy" markings even though I live over here in the U.S.).

I had read somewhere that XV590's serial was painted out on the undersides of the wings and that there was some "tongue in cheek" comment that was painted in the serial number's place. However, it was deemed inapropriate to return to the Ark with that on the aircraft and the comment was painted over... Does your dad remember this? Would he happen to know what was written?

Again, nice build!

Cheers!

John

I had read somewhere that XV590's serial was painted out on the undersides of the wings and that there was some "tongue in cheek" comment that was painted in the serial number's place. However, it was deemed inapropriate to return to the Ark with that on the aircraft and the comment was painted over... Does your dad remember this? Would he happen to know what was written?

John

John, and everyone thanks for the comments!

I will enquire about this, I have seen a Sea Vixen which had 'For Sale' written on it by the aussies!