VERY CHEAP Acrylic Paint Remover FROM TESCOS

bexwh773

Hi ya Gang,

For those who have a Tescos nearby, get yourself a bottle of TESCOS VALUE ALL PURPOSE CLEANER, it removes un varnished acrylic paint from models without causing damage, and its less that £1 a bottle for 750ml.

Lou slipped with paint onto her Spit canopy, I dunked it into a cup of the stuff with a dash of water, left it over night and her Tamiya Acrylic came off no probs, no scrubbing, no damage to clear canopy either. I dont know if it will go through any varnish, as I havent tried that yet or had a need too. I will have an exact price of the bottle this afternoon as Im off to get another bottle shortly then off to see the Old Man :worthy:

HTH

Bex

Edited by bexwh773

Does it work on painted resin without doing-in the resin?

Tom

Hi ya Tom,

TBH I have no idea as Ive never tried, however, I have a resin sprue left over from a Aires cockpit which I will paint up tonight and test it saturday afternoon for you if that helps?

Bex

Resin sprue painted with Tamiya XF-27 Black Green, resin from an Aires 1:48 RF-4B cockpit, so Saturday afternoon it will be dunked and then we shall see the results. Photos of painted resin in the morning, dunking as above then wash down after that.

Bex

Yesterday I had to remove some black acrylic from a poorly-masked (by me) rear window on a 1/24 Porsche; I used household ammonia and Q-tips, worked sort of OK but even when I switched to wooden toothpicks it wasn't easy. Today after a botched re-touch of the same item I decided to scrub it and start again - I found that Isopropyl alcohol rubbed on with a Q-tip then a toothpick poked into the corners worked very well. The isopropyl is quite expensive, but household ammonia was about £2.50 for 1/4 litre from Homebase.

• Like 1

I use ordinary household glass cleaner (Windex, specifically) for all my acrylic paint removal tasks. It's particularly effective on Tamiya acrylics. Last year I botched the painting of a 1/32 spinner spiral, so I dunked it into a small jar of Windex for half-an-hour, and the paint just floated away, leaving a pristine primed surface ready to go again. I've even used it to remove 15-year-old acrylic paint. The only acrylic paint it hasn't worked on so far is the original range of Airfix acrylics, which a long gone (and were crap anyway).

Kev

Experiment done, theres some good news and some bad news................

Good news is, both ACRYLICS & ENAMELS can be removed by this stuff without causing damage to either plastic or resin. The Enamels will need a scrub down though, whereas acrylics just come straight off.

The Bad news is the bit of sprue went down the plug hole :doh::doh:

The Cockpit part had enamel and the part of sprue had the Tamiya acrylic............. Photos then:

BEFORE

yuuy37.jpg

yuuy38.jpg

AFTER

yuuy3c.jpg

yuuy3a.jpg

Any questions, please give me a shout.

HTH

Bex

• 2 weeks later...
My wife has just added this to our shopping list (it's 34p now). I'll let you know how I get on with it.

Tony :clif:

Sounds good to me Tony, and nice of Tescos to drop the price too :yahoo:

Bex

When using it to get rid of enamels, how did you use it? You say scrub, do you mean using an old toothbrush sort of thing? Thanks! :)

my mistake :sorry: Osher, yes, I scrubbed that cockpit part with a soft toothbrush and it came off no problem. That enamel paint had been on the part for over 2 months and was left soaking for 24 hours.

HTH

Bex

Bex,

what great timing. I was just asking my wife to get me a bottle tomorrow. Thanks for all your efforts. I messed up the wheel well of an Airies A-7 set. All the paint cracked. So I need to get it out. The toothbrush bit of the process will be a bit of a problem - enclosed space - but I will see what can be done.

Thanks.

Tom

• 4 weeks later...
need to strip a whole kit with this- how would you go about it? just apply it in small doses & rub with a toothbrush?

I put those parts in a jar with a fair amount of liquid topped off with a drop of water, however, if I had to do a whole kit, Id use a bucket and apply the same principle, besides, for 27p a bottle you can afford to get heavy handed with the stuff........ Oh I bought another bottle lastnight and it had gone down to 27p :yahoo:

Then after a good soak attack with a nice soft toothbrush :thumbsup2:

Bex

I've still to do mine (sorry, Bex) but be warned, it states on the bottle, "Aviod Prolonged Contact with Plastic". Obviously, "prolonged" can be very flexible, just thought I would let you know.

Tony :clif:

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Bought some of this to try (at the latest price of 26p!) after unsuccessfully trying to use my ultrasonic cleaner filled with acetone (nail polish remover) as an airbrush cleaner. No problems with the acetone removing the paint but it melted the plastic parts on the sonic cleaner! First I knew was when I tried to fish out the soggy mess that used to be the basket.... :doh:

Well, tried it and works wonders on Tamiya paints: left it in the morning and checked it after work and it had almost perfectly removed the paint and I didn't even need to wipe.

Revell paint is more stubborn and I had to scrub it off with a brush.

Vallejo paint was a no-no. Didn't even faze it.