New: Revell Jaguar 1/48

Ossington 2

I'm confused. Is the Airfix/Heller kit the same as the Esci, because the sprues and parts in those instructions are DEFINITELY the Airfix ones?!

:shrug:

Edited by Brokenedge

Yep.... with all its faults. One you don't see mentioned very often is the shallow spine under the tail fin. Not an easy fix either :hmmm:

Bummer! :banghead:

I was hoping for a new tool Jag. Maybe if everybody (including me) who has the Airfix & Heller Jaguars built their kits, then some company (other than Trumpeter or HobbyBoss) would come out with an accurate (and inexpensive) 1/48 series of Jaguar kits.

Naaah, I won't live long enough for that. :weep:

Larry

If it is the Airfix kit, it won't have the wing fences that the box art shows.

The Airfix kit has over wing sidewinder missile launchers only.

If it is the Airfix kit, it won't have the wing fences that the box art shows.

The Airfix kit has over wing sidewinder missile launchers only.

Indeed. The 54Sqn machine should have the fences, Revels instructions just leave them off! Paragon did photo etch over wing fences once upon a time along with a range of resin parts, including burner cans, wheels and a superb wing flaps and l/e slats.

It's not a bad kit though.... The fit could be better in parts......and the panel lines are a bit overdone in places...I'd like to see how good the decal sheet is.....

Bummer! :banghead:

I was hoping for a new tool Jag. Maybe if everybody (including me) who has the Airfix & Heller Jaguars built their kits, then some company (other than Trumpeter or HobbyBoss) would come out with an accurate (and inexpensive) 1/48 series of Jaguar kits.

Naaah, I won't live long enough for that. :weep:

Larry

I thought the new Kinetic one is supposed to be good?

Trevor

I'm glad this thread is here! I wonder what the story is about Revell getting the moulds? As we know, Kittyhawk do a pretty good 'modern' kit albeit rather expensive but probably good value looking at the RRP of this kit. Wonder why Airfix ditched it - but not the Bucc or Viggen? Maybe they intend to re-release these then? Looks like the 'improvement' is in the decal sheet - although the Airfix ones were pretty comprehensive. I note a lot more airframe stencils on the likes of the undercarriage than maybe on the original sheets. Will I buy one? Not sure. I have 3 or 4 in the stash already so probably not a high priority but it is a good way to get a Jag if you don't want to go down the Kittyhawk route.

Simon

I'm glad this thread is here! I wonder what the story is about Revell getting the moulds? As we know, Kittyhawk do a pretty good 'modern' kit albeit rather expensive but probably good value looking at the RRP of this kit. Wonder why Airfix ditched it - but not the Bucc or Viggen? Maybe they intend to re-release these then? Looks like the 'improvement' is in the decal sheet - although the Airfix ones were pretty comprehensive. I note a lot more airframe stencils on the likes of the undercarriage than maybe on the original sheets. Will I buy one? Not sure. I have 3 or 4 in the stash already so probably not a high priority but it is a good way to get a Jag if you don't want to go down the Kittyhawk route.

Simon

I don't think it was a matter of Airfix ditching it, probably more a case of where the tools were when Heller and Airfix went there own way...

• 4 weeks later...

Indeed. The 54Sqn machine should have the fences, Revels instructions just leave them off! Paragon did photo etch over wing fences once upon a time along with a range of resin parts, including burner cans, wheels and a superb wing flaps and l/e slats.

It's not a bad kit though.... The fit could be better in parts......and the panel lines are a bit overdone in places...I'd like to see how good the decal sheet is.....

I picked up the kit today. It turns out that the Revell instructions (in a stapled booklet made out of nicer paper than usual) seem to suggest making the wing fences by cutting down the Sidewinder rails.

I'm a bit uncertain about the stores options for the 54 Squadron markings. The only outer pylon options provided are a PHIMAT and an AN/ALQ-101, which are marked as only for the 41 Squadron example. Would the Jaguar fly without outer pylons fitted at all or with empty pylons if they weren't required for stores? In the latter case are the PHIMAT and AN/ALQ-101's pylons (moulded integrally with their pods) suitable for the earlier Jaguar?

Edited by ChrisL
  • Like 1

Thanks! I also saw in another thread someone had built this kit splitting the supplied bomb load between the outer and centre pylons, with the fuel tanks on the inner pylons. On a different thread someone else mentioned that early Jaguars could carry AIM-9G Sidewinders on the outer pylons. I've got some AIM-9Ds from a Hasegawa weapons set which are externally the same as the Gs, so perhaps I could use them, plus the fuel tanks, plus a couple of bombs on the centre pylon.

Are there any good sources for appropriate 1/48 RAF pilots?

The Phimat and AN/ALQ-101 were pretty much a standard fit hence why there molded as one part with the outer pylons in the kit. Would also be common for the outer pylons to be empty for training missions or carrying CBLS pods, less common would be carrying Aim-9's on the outer pylons, certainly after 1991. Would imagine it would have been more common for Aim-9's to be carried on the outer pylons pre 91 and before the over wing pylons were fitted.

The 54 Squadron scheme included in the kit (which is the sharkmouth option, which means it appeals to me) is from 1979 and the Phimat and AN/ALQ-101 are specifically marked as not suitable for it, so it presumably pre-dates their introduction. A little bit of Googling provides contradictory information as to whether GR.1 Jaguars (such as the kit's 54 Squadron option) were wired for Sidewinders - Air Vectors thinks they were but Wikipedia states that the functionality was added as part of the GR.1A upgrades.

The other kit option is a 41 Squadron GR.1A from 1987 so I think it also pre-dates the introduction of the over-wing sidewinder rails.

Stephen - thanks for the heads-up about PJ Productions!

The earliest photos I can find of one carrying an Aim-9 is dated 1983 which is the year the 'A' upgrade apparently took place.