Spitfire 24 question ref the rudder...

Flyboy72nd

Working on my Airfix 24 and did some research online and found this pic;

kevsaviationpics.blogspot.com

Scroll down to VN485 parked in front of some tents

The bird in the link appears to have a rudder painted in, I thought initially PRU blue but on thinking about it maybe it's extra dark sea grey?

Anyone know the exact clour or have any thoughts on the matter?

Cheers and Merry Christmas to all.

I think there's a very strong possibility that it's an ordinary Aluminium painted rudder, in completely different lighting to the fin due to being at full deflection, and and therefore looking a different colour.

Spitfire+F+Mk+24+VN485+10.jpg

Edited by Work In Progress

looking a tthe leading edge of the rudder I veer towards the painted option myself

If it were painted aluminium colour the top of the l.e. would show as silver like the rest of the airframe, because the shadow effect wouldnt count in direct light

I'd vote for E.S.D.G myself

b

The fact that the shadow of the rudder horn against the top of the fin shows up as the same apparent colour as the rudder is very persuasive to me. This is alighting effect, nothing more.

However, if you're modelling VN485 and want to be proof against possible criticism, doing the rudder in painted Aluminium to match the rest of the airframe makes you bullet-proof as the aircraft has many times been photographed in colour in such a scheme on many occasions over the last 60 or so years, and is currently on display like that at Duxford.

Thanks fo the input guys. I'm still torn, but think I will go with painted aluminum.

The shot in front of the tents is still bothering me since I thought the rudder balance in the sun light would me much lighter????

The other picture supplied, to me, is white! There is very little deflection of the rudder (look at the rudder blaance arm) and the sun is either directly in front of the a/c (shadows) or slightly to starboard!?

Good discussion but as said I'll play safe with the oa colour scheme.