Roland D VIa and VIb

Shar2

LFG Roland D VIa and D VIb

1/48

Box.jpg

The Roland D.VI was designed by the Luft-Fahrzeug-Gesellschaft (L.F.G.), (whose aircraft were made under the trade name "Roland" post-1914 to avoid confusion with the Luftverkehrsgesellschaft m.b.H (L.V.G.)) late in 1917, with the prototype being the 1000th aircraft to be built by L.F.G., first flying in November 1917. The D.VI was a single bay biplane which discarded the so called Wickelrumpf, or semi-monocoque fuselage. made from two layers of thin strips of plywood, diagonally wrapped around a male form to create a "half-shell", that used in previous L.F.G aircraft such as the Roland C.II, D.I and D.II in favour of the equally unusual (for aircraft use) Klinkerrumpf (or clinker-built) construction where the fuselage was built of overlapping strips of spruce over a light wooden framework. Visibility for the pilot was good, while the aircraft had above average maneuverability.

In January 1918, two D.VIs were entered into the first fighter competition held by Idflieg at Adlershof, one powered by a 160 hp (119 kW) Mercedes D.III engine and the other by a Benz D.III of similar power. Although the winner of the competition was the Fokker D.VII, orders were placed for the Roland as insurance against production problems with the Fokker.

A total of 350 were built, 150 D.VIa powered by the Mercedes, while the remaining 200 were powered by the Benz III and were called D.VIb. Deliveries started in May 1918, with 70 D.VIs in frontline service on 31 August 1918.

The Roland offered little better performance than the aircraft that it was to replace. In 1918 Allied and German air technology notably the Pfalz D.XII and Fokker D.VII rendered the LFG Roland obsolescent

The models

Fly models have gone for the open ended box for these kits, which makes them pretty weak once opened. Each has a nice rendering of the respective model on the front and full colour painting and decal placement instructions on the rear. Fortunately each kit is well protected in a sturdy plastic bag.

Inside the bag are two sprues of beige styrene, a small etch fret, some resin parts, and three sheets of decals.

The first of the two sprues contain the fuselage, cockpit parts, interplane struts, propeller and rudder. The planking on the fuselage is very nicely moulded and with careful painting will really look the part,

Fuselage.jpg

The second sprue contains the wings, two types of horizontal tail depending on which version is being built, wheels, prop spinner, machine guns and pilots’ seat. There are also optional, larger ailerons, although the original ones will need to be removed from the upper wings before these can be fitted.

Wings.jpg

The small etched fret gives the modeler seat straps, gun muzzles, cocking and firing handles and engine grilles and vents. The very nicely moulded engine is in resin, the A model has the Mercedes whilst the B model has the Benz. Also in resin are various pipes and the joystick.

Etch.jpg

Resin.jpg

Decals

The decals come on 3 sheets and are beautifully printed. Fly provide full lozenge decals for both the upper and lower surfaces and their respective tapes. The third sheet has the standard German crosses in various sizes depending on position, plus a shield and backing disc.

Decal%20Topside.jpg

Decal%20underside.jpg

National%20insignia.jpg

Conclusion

Another pair of well produced biplanes in striking colours, what’s not to like.

Review sample courtesy of

logo.jpg

• 5 years later...

Hi Les,

They are nice to build and produce an attractive model. Treat them like a short-run, test fit and adjust as necessary, go slow and all will be fine. The rendition of the clinker-build fuselage is a bit off and can do with a bit of a rub-down to improve it. Also I felt that the colour of the lozenge decals was not right so I replaced them with aftermarket examples. Others have used the supplied decals and they looked fine; guess mine were a duff batch. IIRC the engine needed a bit of ferkling to fit

Enjoy the build!

Christian, still exiled in africa

Thanks

As stated in a separate thread, I'm not familiar with WWI models, and happened across a load of Fly kits in my LHS when scoping out the Roden and Eduard kits. I'll probably start with the Eduard kits following the recommendations but they seem to have quite a varied range so may try one in the future 

Cheers

Les