Academy Tempest V 1:72

Its one of my favorite kits actually and you've done a great job all around (cockpit, painting ect.) I could only hope to do it that well. That is odd about the Resin Art kit... I've got the exterior details set and I didn't find that it had any issues nor for other sets (Canberra wheel bays.)

Edited by -Neu-

problems with the resin cockpit not withstanding this is a beautiful model at 1/72... have looked a few times at this kit (I have a soft spot for Academy - decent price/quality/detail combination)

What an absolutely stunning build with fantastic paintwork! Could I just add....and please don`t take this the wrong way....that bombs were not a common fit for Tempests during WW 2, and most carried drop tanks. If I remember correctly only one unit used bombs and that was right at the end of the war...maybe only for one or two sorties?

Stunning model though and the subject itself is fantastic,

All the best

Tony O

All comments are very much appreciated guys - Thanks. It's probably my best effort so far, definitely in 1:72.

If I could add a few responses to various points:

I've had no end of trouble with Matt varnish. I asked someone at the Crewe model show on Sunday about the superb matt finish on his AFV models, and he told me to use the Humbrol spray, and it worked very well. Obviously you have to shake it for about 5 mins and be careful with thicknesses. I think many of the problems I've been having with Matt varnish (ie 'dusting') may have been caused by spraying in cold and/or humid conditions. I sprayed this in the kitchen, and it worked, so I'll be using it again!

To anyone about to use the Resin Art cockpit set, I would advice discarding the instructions and use this method: 1) Pare down the cockpit sides until you can see light through them, and fit the side panels. 2) Assemble the levers etc onto both side spaceframe panels. 3) Assemble the seat/rear bulkhead, and file to fit in the appropriate place. 4) Ditto for the front bulkhead & fit the instrument panel. 5) Then detail paint everything and fit the spaceframe sides direct to the side panels. You can then test assemble everything, and make some kind of judgement about how to fit the lower spaceframes/joystick/rudder pedals such that they can be fitted last, by installing them upwards into position. It is extremely important to check and double check everything at all stages though!

The bombs? I'm sure you're correct, but they look good, and it was an excuse to refurb the old Airfix tractor!

Thanks again guys!