hawker Fury - LA610, any more detail on Sabre and Griffon installation

Troy Smith

Hi All

just an information quest on this beastie, LA610, and the two engines installations.

Griffon

5597L-2.jpg

5597L-1.jpg

Sabre

6292L-2.jpg

6292L-3.jpg

2610200922h17m15s133.jpg

the below caption is wrong as this is the Sabre version.

img425.jpg

img0038t.jpg

Interestingly , here, "http://www.vicflintham.co.uk/post-war-research-aircraft-and-prototypes/Cancelled.html"

The fourth, and final Fury, VP207 also flew with the Sabre VII.
any details or pics of VP207?

Are there more any pics?

there are some side view drawings in the Sea Fury Warpaint, any front and/or top view drawings anywhere?

Cheers

T

Hi Troy,

Flight Global's Archive might be worth the visit. I found these;

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/vie...ury%20Prototype

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/vie...ury%20Prototype

There may be more if you want to try a search here; http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/index.html

They even index the ads so something should turn up.

Cheers,

Daniel.

There's a Tony Buttler article on the Fury in an old issue of Air Enthusiast. It's mentioned in an old thread.

Hi Wooksta

found the mention

Air Enthusiast with a Tony Buttler article on the Fury. No 86, March/April 2000

does anyone have this, it's unavailable as a back issue, so if some kind person can do me a scan please PM me.

Hi Daniel,

thanks for the Flight Global link. The old PC i'm on here didn't like trying to open PDF's in web pages but will check later.

cheers

T

any details or pics of VP207?

VP207 was 'Aluminium' overall with a coloured cheatline - same style as the more often illustrated NX802, the Centaurus Fury demonstrator. NX802's cheatline was red; some say VP207's was blue.

CT

• 3 months later...
VP207 was 'Aluminium' overall with a coloured cheatline - same style as the more often illustrated NX802, the Centaurus Fury demonstrator. NX802's cheatline was red; some say VP207's was blue.

CT

Pic of VP207 Here and NX802 Here. Sure I've seen them in a thread somewhere but can't find it now,

Ross

Pic of VP207 Here and NX802 Here. Sure I've seen them in a thread somewhere but can't find it now,

Ross

neat pics. now posted under 'fair use.'

55757137.FuryNX802.jpg

55757158.FuryVP207.jpg

I'd suggest as taken at same time by the same guy, so presumably on same film/camera that they are both in red cheatline, aslo closer in tone to the red of the roundels, and very fine they look too.

I read elsewhere that these were taken at Radlett at the Handley Page works in 1947, note the 'Handley Page' painted on the sheds in the background.

know what scheme my Sabre Fury will be when it happens....

cheers

T

Edited by Troy Smith

neat pics. now posted under 'fair use.'

I'd suggest as taken at same time by the same guy, so presumably on same film/camera that they are both in red cheatline, aslo closer in tone to the red of the roundels, and very fine they look too.

I read elsewhere that these were taken at Radlett at the Handley Page works in 1947, not the 'Handley Page' painted on the sheds in the background.

The occasion was the first SBAC show.

Close call but I'm not sure I agree with with you on the stripe colour assessment. Close to the roundel I think VP207's stripe looks nearer to the roundel blue ...

CT

Close call but I'm not sure I agree with with you on the stripe colour assessment. Close to the roundel I think VP207's stripe looks nearer to the roundel blue ...

CT

Hi Chris

I was bearing this from you in mind

NX802's cheatline was red; some say VP207's was blue.

And the cheatline on both looks to be the same colour, given that both pics are the same time/film/camera, probably a minute apart, so if NX802 was red, then I presume VP207 would be too, as it looks the same in these pics.

Note the stripe at the nose of VP207 and the fin flash.

Would the cheatline not have been done in a bright red, rather than roundel red as well?

Finally I'd think having both with red cheatlines would make a very fetching pair... maybe more than a blue and a red?

Oh for a colour pic of these!

cheers

T

Hi Chris

I was bearing this from you in mind

And the cheatline on both looks to be the same colour, given that both pics are the same time/film/camera, probably a minute apart, so if NX802 was red, then I presume VP207 would be too, as it looks the same in these pics.

Note the stripe at the nose of VP207 and the fin flash.

Would the cheatline not have been done in a bright red, rather than roundel red as well?

Finally I'd think having both with red cheatlines would make a very fetching pair... maybe more than a blue and a red?

Oh for a colour pic of these!

cheers

T

Tony

My assessment of the colours was not based entirely on the photos you posted. The late (and much missed) Mike Stroud who worked in various Hawker departments in the 70/80s told me that veteran Hawker workers who were there in 1947 had told him that the stripes were red on one Fury and blue on the other - in roundel shades. All a bit tenuous I know, however I also have photos which show the 2 aircraft side by side at the SBAC display and there is a small but clear difference between the shades of the stripes. VP207 is darker.

Personally, I think roundel red for NX802's stripe far more likely; two shades of red on the same airframe would not have looked so smart. There is a much published photo of NX802 at Langley (with Air Roderick Hill's Tempest V in the background) in which the roundel shades are quite different and the stripe matches perfectly the centre of the roundel. CT

Tony

My assessment of the colours was not based entirely on the photos you posted. The late (and much missed) Mike Stroud who worked in various Hawker departments in the 70/80s told me that veteran Hawker workers who were there in 1947 had told him that the stripes were red on one Fury and blue on the other - in roundel shades. All a bit tenuous I know, however I also have photos which show the 2 aircraft side by side at the SBAC display and there is a small but clear difference between the shades of the stripes. VP207 is darker.

Personally, I think roundel red for NX802's stripe far more likely; two shades of red on the same airframe would not have looked so smart. There is a much published photo of NX802 at Langley (with Air Roderick Hill's Tempest V in the background) in which the roundel shades are quite different and the stripe matches perfectly the centre of the roundel. CT

HI Chris

Thank you very much for the extra background information, I was just looking at the photos, as this is a far more fetching scheme than LA610 drab camo...

And given blue is my favourite colour I'm not dissapointed!

cheers

T

Pure coincidence, but as I was weeding some old clippings tonight I came across some typewritten notes (not mine) dating from my time at Dunsfold (1970/71). They were in company with other typed notes listing Hunter production and conversions, which I know were being collated at that time by a fellow flight test engineer/enthusiast called Alan - I'm afraid I have forgotten his surname. The relevant page is a summary of the four Fury prototypes and the first(?) three Sea Fury prototypes. All four Furies are described as "Became Company Demonstrator aircraft ...... and painted white with red trim."

I realised that this is hardly definitive proof, but it does at least indicate what was the belief amongst Hawker personnel at the time.

Edited by Graham Boak

This page from the Flight Global Archive gives NX802 as being finished in silver and red for the Lympne air races in 1947 and the accompanying photo appears to show the stripe in the same shade as the centre of the roundel. Now we need to find a description of VP207, all I can find in Flight is a reference to the Sabre Fury prototype being "striking in its new finish" at the 1947 Radlett show.

Ross

Edited by rossm