Harrier GR.9 "FAA 100th Anniversary"

Mike

Harrier GR.9 "FAA 100th Anniversary"

1:48 Hasegawa

boxtop.jpg

There can't be many out there that aren't aware of the history of this great aircraft, but in light of the recent Strategic Defence Review (2010) the GR.9 now represents the pinnacle of development of the Harrier within the RAF, as it is to be retired from service 15 years early as a means of our Government saving money. I for one shall miss it terribly, as it is a favourite aircraft of mine.

The release of this special scheme boxing from Hasegawa comes at a poignant time for British military aviation lovers, and the handsome tail art celebrating 100 years of British naval aviation has now been eclipsed by its retirement.

The box is typical Hasegawa, with a fetching photograph of the real thing adorning the compact top opening box. Inside is the usual plethora of plastic with 12 sprues of varying sizes in grey styrene, a large crucifix shaped clear sprue, a small set of 4 poly caps for attaching the engine exhaust nozzles. The decals and instruction booklet complete the package, with all sprues save the clear residing in the one bag.

As the GR.9 is essentially an Anglicised AV-8B Harrier II Plus, the majority of the sprues are identical to the kit that I reviewed recently here. The primary difference is the nose cone for the British version that contains no radar, but does contain a number of important sensor suites, and is commensurately finer in profile by comparison. The Electronic CounterMeasures (ECM) blister under the tail is also different, as is the tail fairing itself. The un-approved (for use) 25mm Aden gun packs that are still carried to aid aerodynamic stability in the hover are also different, as is the weapons fit, and a few of the blade antennae dotted around the underside of the airframe.

Little else needs saying about the kit from the build point of view that wasn't said in the review of the Harrier II Plus, other than to restate that it is deemed by those that know to be the best kit of the modern Harrier in this scale. The finish of the parts is clean and crisp, and detail is good throughout, with the cockpit providing enough detail to satisfy many, although this modeller would probably install a resin aftermarket item, as I just like the extra detail.

If some of the sprue pictures seem familiar, it's because they are lifted directly from the previous review. Only the GR.7/9 sprue has been shot on this occasion, as I don't believe in re-inventing the wheel! First the British one:

sprue1.jpg

And now the rest - all of these sprues are marked "AV-8B":

sprue1.jpg

sprue2.jpg

sprue3.jpg

sprue4.jpg

sprue5.jpg

sprue6.jpg

Clearly the radome from the AV-8B on the bottom left isn't included in this edition.

clear.jpg

The decals permit the modeller to portray one of the following airframes:

• ZD406 Royal Navy Naval Strike Wing, FAA 100th Anniversary scheme
  • ZD410 Royal Air Force No.4 (AC) Squadron 95th Anniversary scheme

The former has simple but effective sweeping red, white and blue tail tail art with Fly Navy 100 and a white ensign, while the latter has a striking black and red tail, with a bright yellow lightning zap running across it, with the words 95 and 1912-2007 overlaid. Both schemes have optional individual lettering and main details to permit the modeller to spray the tail art backgrounds themselves, as these large decals can be tricky to get to fit if you are unlucky or have chunky fingers.

decals.jpg

The cockpit instruments are also provided as decals, differing only from the American bird by the MFDs being printed in green. I would have thought that given the differing sensor fits, there would be some differences between the instruments that manage them, but all but the experts shouldn't notice.

The decals are sharp and crisp, with good color density, and appear to be perfectly in register. The carrier film is on the thick side, but not of the thickness one could expect on hasegawa's older kits, so shouldn't cause too much heart ache with the aid of some decal setting solutions.

Conclusion

A great scheme that should interest both Harrier lovers, and Naval aviation buffs alike. The kit itself is a good one, and should build up into a fine replica of this lovely aircraft. What more is there to add?

Recommended.

Review sample courtesy of logo.jpg UK distributors for logo.jpg

Damn- they have done it again!!!

Hasegawa have a habit of doing this- they release a "special scheme" aircraft kit, and you either particularly like it- or you don't.

So you decide to pass, and then sit around waiting for them to release a special scheme you REALLY like- only to find years later (by accident) they had included it as a second option in the aforementioned kit.. which is now unobtainium, and never likely to be released again. :(

Ps, is the wing still crooked and does the main canopy still have the flaws in it?

PPS, if you do decide to build it Mike, I would suggest the Aires wheelbays, jsut becasue they are like really good body mingling, but thier cockpit set is far less so.

Edited by Mentalguru

cant believe nobodys mentioned the price yet

I nearly fell off my chair when I saw the price!! :analintruder::gobsmacked::rant::rant: :rant:

I had been waiting for this kit in these markings to be released for ages! Do what I am doing, buy the Revell kit and some model alliance markings..........................I am not paying £45.00 for a 1/48 Harrier. No way.

Doesn't look like there's a Martin-Baker on the GR Sprues (T & V?), so it's off to the aftermarket our out with the knife, card & filler. Little of the base of the pan will show and IIRC, Hasegawa instruct you to cut off the safe handle from the supplied parts. M-B12 head box is larger than it's 'merkin counterpart with a couple of air data probes on the side if you've got the eyesight.

OK, thanks Kirk. Aires has a really nice martin baker seat for this kit.

You're welcome. I think Aeroclub[?] do a more basic white metal/etch one too, which is still an improvement on the kit seat.

Is there a seam line down the canopy?

Yes - it's a bubble canopy, so pretty tricky to engineer any other way. I've seen quite a few people polish it out though.

Edited by Kirk

How much does it cost?

The idea of going out and picking up a cheap Revell repop a bit of a red herring. Over here the it was being cleared out for £9.99 by Modelzone, but that was a year ago and they've long since gone now. Even at the full whack of £26.99 the Revell boxing is getting hard to find, they've gone from all the online stores and there's only one on ebay. The Hasegawa PT36 base kit is the same price at £26.99, Model Alliance do the decals for £9.00 so you could go that route although it will work out about the same as Lucky Models price.

One thing in this reboxings favour not mentioned in the review, is that it contains both styles of Lerx, 65 and 100%, (the 100% bits are marked as not for use) something that you won't find in any of Hasegawa's other RAF Harriers. So if you want to do a 100% airframe without resorting to resin it's the way to go.

Edited by Mike
Removed the pimp for another vendor, as this is a review of a sample provided by Amerang. Thanks.