RQ-4B Global Hawk

Mike

RQ-4B Global Hawk

1:48 skunkmodels_logo.jpg

boxtop.jpg

In association with

luckylogo.gif

The Global Hawk is the US Air Force's latest generation of Unmanned Air Vehicle (UAV), which are making swift progress in taking over tasks that don't require the split second decision and reactions of a pilot that is actually in the vehicle.

Debuting in 2003 during Enduring Freedom, this 130ft wingspan UAV is capable of loitering for over 35 hours at heights in excess of 60,000 feet, and can carry out a pre-programmed mission with little or no human intervention, although a human operator can interrupt the program if situations dictate.

This model is one of the first large-scale releases from Skunk Models, who have concentrated their efforts on rather nice US deck equipment and weapons sets until now. The kit arrives in a large flat end-opening box with a picture of the real vehicle on the front, and four smaller views of the finished model to the left.

Let's be clear from the outset. This builds into a BIG model. The wingspan is 829mm, with the fuselage measuring 302mm, and as you can expect the part count is relatively low given the lack of cockpit and armament. Inside the box are four sprues of light grey styrene, a decal sheet and instruction booklet. No clear sprue is needed, which seems a bit odd to this reviewer, even after already building another UAV... old habits die hard!

fuselage.jpg

The curiously bulged fronted fuselage sides are provided as two parts on a sprue of their own, with the bottom panel on another sprue. Strong attachment lugs should provide the builder with good location here, and two inserts on the side of the engine are complete the basics of the fuselage. I suspect that something will come along soon to justify those two removable panels, but don't quote me. The intake for the jet engine is a two-piece assembly consisting of the seamless trunking and front compressor fan, with the exhaust building up the same way. This makes painting these two areas simplicity itself, and that should please a great many.

The wings have a sprue each, with the main length made of two parts with the main landing gear bay built into the underside as a bulged aerodynamic nacelle. The wing tips are single parts that mount to the completed main wing on a small lug, which seems a little weak, so could perhaps benefit from pinning with brass rod or similar. Detail on the main gear bays is good on the sidewalls, but consists of three raised lines on the inside of the upper wing, which acts as the roof of the bay. I suspect that more detail is there in reality, but finding photographs of the gear bays may prove difficult, as most pictures seem to be of the whole airframe.

The break between the wing uppers and lowers has been set so that the upper contains the complete leading edge and wafer thin trailing edges. The seams inboard of the lower wing can easily be filled with some Vallejo putty (the fine applicator tube), and fettled back to looking like panel lines. The only downside of this thin trailing edge is that they are quite easily damaged, so care must be taken when handling them.

sprue1.jpg

sprue2.jpg

The wings attach to the fuselage using the traditional slot, but this is re-enforced by a set of four strong pins attached to the underside of the fuselage that penetrate the wing lugs and hold them in place. When I build mine, I will be looking at ways to make the wings demountable, so that the kit can easily be stored.

The strange V-tail has separate rudders, and includes the pitot probes, that will doubtless get damaged during the build. My choice would be to remove them at outset and make replacements from metal to be installed late in the build.

The landing gear makes up most of the remaining parts, and is nicely detailed, with separate 2-piece wheels and hubs, with brake hub detail attaching to the rear. Adding some hydraulic lines from lead wire will bring them up to standard, with a little sympathetic painting. Gear doors are all supplied as separate parts, and have retraction jacks where necessary. A scrap diagram is provided to allow the modeller to align the gear and doors properly on the airframe, which is a great idea to prevent any issues.

sprue3.jpg

The decals are glossy and well printed, although the black and white of the Luftwaffe markings seem to be slightly out of register on my copy. From the sheet you can build one of either a US Air Force airframe "BB" (BuNo. 052024), or Luftwaffe airframe 99+99, which both have the same white wings and FS36118 grey fuselage.

decals.jpg

Doubtless there will be some interesting aftermarket decals coming before too long, allowing the modeller to choose one of the lower contrast all-over grey airframes, but these machines are the embodiment of the "grey jets", so marking variety is bound to be limited.

Conclusion

This is an unusual kit, and should build into an impressive looking model with its huge 130ft wingspan. Detail is good throughout, and Skunk Models seem to have captured the shape well, although I will be better able to tell once the model is built. There are a few sink marks here & there where large internal structures meet with the skin, but these are in positions that are easy enough to cure with a little putty and sanding stick.

Keep an eye out for my build in due course - I suspect it won't be long in coming! EDIT: It didn't take long, and it's here.

Review sample courtesy of luckylogo.gif