Merlin Engined Canberra

Hi folks, apologies if you've seen this over on the What If GB, but several people are posting their completed builds on RFI too so I thought I'd join them. I hope it's not bad form, it's just that looking through the old RFI threads is sort of a filing system for me, helping me to remember what I built and in what order. I'm just including this here for housekeeping purposes, and to bring it to the attention of people who aren't watching the GBs.

Anyway, the premise was that the jet engine had never been invented, and the Canberra had been designed on more traditional lines around the Merlin engine.

The GB build article is here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=54759

but here's the finished article:

merlinfinished12.jpg

merlinfinished5.jpg

merlinfinished1.jpg

merlinfinished2.jpg

merlinfinished3.jpg

merlinfinished4.jpg

merlinfinished6.jpg

merlinfinished8.jpg

merlinfinished10.jpg

merlinfinished9.jpg

merlinfinished7.jpg

merlinfinished14.jpg

merlinfinished11.jpg

merlinfinished13.jpg

Cheers,

Dean

Thanks for the extra comments folks, I appreciate it.

As for the ladder, did you know that it was designed and built by a professional health and safety consultant, painted hazard yellow as a warning against trips and collisions, regularly inspected as part of the DIs, it's less than 9m high so doesn't require a staging point and there are even yellow stripes on the fuselage warning where the propellor arc goes. As far as risk assessment goes, I think I've got it pretty well covered as far as 'reasonably practicable' is concerned... :lol:

Nice to think that people think it would have been feasible...that's what I was aiming for.

Cheers,

Dean

That's a beautifully executed model.

I'd have thought that fitting a pair of Griffons with contra-rotating props could have been a possible solution to the power issues...or even Griffons with one forward facing prop, and one rearward facing prop where the jetpipes usually exit!

Brilliant build :goodjob:

Doesn't it just look so right...?

It's a beautifully done job and a real eye-catcher, but I have to say if I were walking out to test-fly it I would be thinking "here's a big heavy aeroplane with two small and comparatively weedy engines", and loking thoughtfully at whether there were any trees at the upwind end of the runway. A Canberra weighs about 10 tonnes empty, probably 11 tonnes with a pair of Merlins slung on it, so it would actually fly all right, with that big wing, providing you didn't try to carry anything significant. Probably be flat out at about 250 mph though.

A pair of the tuned up Corncobs that went on some of the B-50s, the R-4360-51 VDT at 4,300 hp a side, would probably make it quite sporty, though of course they would be a lot heavier again.

Edited to say I'be just had a look at the built thread, and it's an excellent read full of drama, sawing things up, Plastic Padding and all sorts of fun. Funnily enough there's a picture of it part-done in which it reminds me of a Manchester, in that it looks to me as if it really wants the other two engines!

Edited by Work In Progress

It's a beautifully done job and a real eye-catcher, but I have to say if I were walking out to test-fly it I would be thinking "here's a big heavy aeroplane with two small and comparatively weedy engines", and loking thoughtfully at whether there were any trees at the upwind end of the runway. A Canberra weighs about 10 tonnes empty, probably 11 tonnes with a pair of Merlins slung on it, so it would actually fly all right, with that big wing, providing you didn't try to carry anything significant. Probably be flat out at about 250 mph though.

Yeah, but this is the Mark 1

I'd guess the later versions were updated with upgraded engines etc... :pipe:

He he he... got a good bit of discussion going on here, eh?

To address some of your points, the original backstory states that the Canberra did not perform as expected, and as such had a relatively short service life, being replaced in 1952 with new six engined bombers capable of carrying the nuclear weapons necessary for the emerging Cold War. So yes, the engines WERE a bit weedy, but I had already compared the Canberra size and weight with the Manchester during the design phase and had come to the conclusion that with two late Merlins it'd fly about the same as the Manc did with Vultures.

Also, the reason it hasn't got Griffons in it is because I didn't think of that... I did mention somewhere in the build thread that if someone wants to attempt a Mk2, be my guest...

As to the fate of the rest of the Lancaster parts Trevor - the inner nacelles, props, spinners, undercarriage and nose blister have been used, the top wing halves have been sawn up, the outer nacelles and props have been sent to someone else who requested them, and the Avons from the Canberra were pretty much beyond repair when I'd sawn them off. So don't panic, there's not a jet engined Lanc in the works if that's what you're worried about! Or were there some Lanc spares you were after?

As to everyone else who commented, thanks, glad you enjoyed it.

Cheers,

Dean

Brilliant Dean, love the backstory and as you know I likey odd looking beasts, (well you've seen the wife!). The stance is very Dornier DO 17 meets little Stirling. I think the proportions look right with the only exception for me being the size of the massive mainwheels...(would never get bogged down in a muddy grass field!). I think you ought to think about producing a 'final' variant of the beast fully loaded with a Red Beard or Blue Danube...God alone knows what engines and high lift devices you would need to get it into the air...hang on, how about some super sprites!!,

Great stuff mate...(bring it to Newark, we'll shove it on the Cold War table and see if anyone can work it out... :whistle:),

Andy