Harrier GR3 Airfix and Sea Harrier Tamiya 1/48

Caerdydd

the Airfix kit GR3 is okay, improved Greatly with the Heritage upgrade set.

Tamiya Shar FRS1, Run-a-way, get an Airfix one, it worth both the time, and the expence it will take to find one.

Dave

Hello!

I want you know if this kits are good?

Best regards

SEb

The Airfix Harrier is reasonably accurate in outline, and can be built into a nice model. It has raised panel lines, the nozzles are solid. You will need a new seat - Martin Baker Mk 9 - same as the Jaguar. General detail is very poor, rear nozzle heat shields are solid, outriders have no details, so a lot depends on how much detail you want to add, or can add.

As for the Tamiya Shar - its not great, but nowhere near as bad as some may make out. Biggest problems are that the intakes are too rounded and the nose is a bit too bulbous looking. Has better nozzles and outriders, than the Airfix kits but again a new seat and maybe cockpit will be required. Again it depends on the level of detail you want. Its an old kit with raised panel lines.

The Airfix Shar is similar in detail to the GR3, but all of these kits will really need some work on them........

A third way to a Sea Harrier FRS.1is to use the Monogram AV-8A/GR.1 kit and graft the nose from the Airfix Sea Harrier on it. The Monogram kit has a good level of detail, but being a release from the late 70s/early 80s, it wil have raised panel lines too. In that case, you may wonder what the benefit is, and it's simpluy because the mouldings are less clunky and the level of detail is a lot better than the rather simplified Airfix kits. The crossection at the nose between the two kits are slightly different, but that can be fixed with filler. Add the RWRs on the tailfin, but do not forget to shorten the airbrake as this was shorter on the SHAR than the land-Harriers. I missed that until it was pointed out to me:)

Jens

Another thing to note about the Airfix GR3 (05012) kit .... it comes in two versions ... the photo below shows the Series 3 kit wing (unbuilt) against the original Series 5 kit I'm currently building. You can see the difference in flap sizes.

Series 3 has 1417Flt XZ966, / 1453Flt XV788 / IV Sqdn XV738 "Matchcoat" and is new style stapled instructions

Series 5 has 1 Sqdn XW768 and 3 Sqdn XV779 and is old style folded instructions

R1025610.jpg

So a little bit of extra tinkering, depending on which version you are able to obtain.

I have the Tamiya SHAR in my stash and it is not great. I bought it because, (a) it is cheap and (B) I wanted to use it as my first project using resin aftermarket parts. I have ordered Heritage Aviations replacement intakes which have the dropped doors plus a replacement seat from neomega resin. This will be a whole new experience for me!

tamima shar is very very bad.....

:fraidnot:

Tamiya Shar FRS1, Run-a-way, get an Airfix one, it worth both the time, and the expence it will take to find one.

:blink:

As for the Tamiya Shar - its not great, but nowhere near as bad as some may make out. Biggest problems are that the intakes are too rounded and the nose is a bit too bulbous looking. Has better nozzles and outriders, than the Airfix kits but again a new seat and maybe cockpit will be required. Again it depends on the level of detail you want. Its an old kit with raised panel lines.

:weep: Awlright, me didn't know the Tamiya 1/48 Shar FRS.1 was such a bad kit... It's got those awful raised panel lines and the vortex generator "bricks" over the wings - yeh, the cockpit is a little bit more than Spartan, but to have learnt the kit is SO bad has real killed me.

Little did I know regardin' the kit's inaccuracies when it comes to the nose and/or the ill-shaped intakes. :suicide: Been lookin' photos of both the Tamiya and Airfix Shars, and I really couldn't notice the difference between the noses; went askin' my owl pet, and she suggested I go away:

Tamiya's

TamiyaShar.jpg

Airfix's

AirfixShar.jpg

Please, does anyone have any photos which show the difference between both kits' noses a tad clearer? Also, whut are the correct shape of the intakes like? Any other modification needed on the Tamiya Shar? I heard sumthin' regardin' the tail as well. Me has already ordered the NeOmega cockpit for this bird... "Oh, woe is me, ooooooooohhh..."

Thanks, blokes.

Unc²

Please, does anyone have any photos which show the difference between both kits' noses a tad clearer? Also, whut are the correct shape of the intakes like? Any other modification needed on the Tamiya Shar? I heard sumthin' regardin' the tail as well. Me has already ordered the NeOmega cockpit for this bird... "Oh, woe is me, ooooooooohhh..."

Thanks, blokes.

Unc²

Hmmm, a nice and well balanced post there Unc² ! You just can't beat a massive dose of sarcasm on a Sunday afternoon!!

FWIW I built the Tamiya FRS1 about 15 years ago as a "build and detail" article for SAMi. Nick Greenall of the Harrier SIG has that model now, and it appears on the SIG table at various shows. Most of my comments here are from memory, and you may have noted that I don't think this kit is as bad as others may say,....

Your photo's actually highlight the intake problem on the Tamiya kit - really well - they are far too rounded. I amended mine by filling the outside with milliput and opening up the intake. FOD covers (from the Flightpath set) hid the work therein.

Other mods.....This kit was derived from Tamiya's AV8A, so has the larger airbrake. This needs shortening. Ironically Airfix's GR3 was derived from the Airfix Shar1, so that kits airbrake id too small for a GR3! The tail is a bit too high and too square, but a swipe of wet n'dry should help. You've covered most of the other problems. Note though that ALL of the auxilliary doors are only open when the engine is running....

As for the bulbous nose - most of the problem here is caused by the windscreen's shape and size, and those awful intakes. The radome just looks too big.

No photo's I'm afraid - unless you can find a copy of that SAMi magazine.............

Edited by Bill Clark

Another thing to note about the Airfix GR3 (05012) kit .... it comes in two versions ... the photo below shows the Series 3 kit wing (unbuilt) against the original Series 5 kit I'm currently building. You can see the difference in flap sizes.

Series 3 has 1417Flt XZ966, / 1453Flt XV788 / IV Sqdn XV738 "Matchcoat" and is new style stapled instructions

Series 5 has 1 Sqdn XW768 and 3 Sqdn XV779 and is old style folded instructions

R1025610.jpg

So a little bit of extra tinkering, depending on which version you are able to obtain.

I think you might have the two Series numbers swapped around :winkgrin: . After reading your post I had a look at the kit I have. It's the Series 5 kit (05102) and features the flap size as per the unbuilt sprue part in your photo. According to the scale drawings I have, as well as looking at some photographic references, the aileron span is shorter than that of the flap. I suppose Airfix tweaked the flap/aileron sizes between the initial series 3 and later series 5 releases? If so, I can't understand why it justified a bigger box, a higher series number and subsequent higher RRP though! :mental:

Cheers,

Johann

Edited by Johann_Olivier

Hello!

I want you know if this kits are good?

Best regards

SEb

Tamiya SHAR... The nose and intakes are all screwy, the SHAR nose should bow out slightly in plan view but the Tamiya kit is too pronounced making the radome too fat, killing the sleek lines. Likewise the intakes also seem a touch too chubby, like the SHAR grew jowls or something.

Another to avoid with a Dave Podmore sized bargepole is the Hobbycraft kit. It somehow features a SHAR up front but at a HAR at the back and (?!) while the box art promises a post war scheme with twin Sidewinders and 899 NAS markings, the sheet has the same pre-Falklands schemes as the Tamiya kit.

As Bill says' both the Airfix GR,3 and SHAR are essentially sound in shape, just lacking in detail and refinement. Throw in some resin and you're on your way. If you do have the Tamiya kit, its useful for stores and the decals are certainly very usable.

Slightly confused about this Series 3 and Series 5 thing as the kit has always been Series 5 (05102).

But you're right in that the 2001/2 reissue did featured the revised aileron/flaps which, IIRC, Airfix started bringing in when they did the SHAR FA/2 mod in 1997.

Slightly confused about this Series 3 and Series 5 thing as the kit has always been Series 5 (05102).

But you're right in that the 2001/2 reissue did featured the revised aileron/flaps which, IIRC, Airfix started bringing in when they did the SHAR FA/2 mod in 1997.

Ah yes, you're quite correct sire, the kit's sprues are much too big to fit in a Series 3 box. My apologies to Airfix then for my above comment. Their 1/72 Buccaneer S.Mk.2 kit from the same period (1988?) was too big for its Series 3 size box as well.

Edited by Johann_Olivier

I have the Airfix Shar and GR.3 in 1/48 apart from the raised lines i think they are nice kits, I have always been told to stay clear of the tamiya Shar. Although i have to admit i have fallen in love with the Airfix New Tool 1/72 kit it's a gem in my opinion.

Hmmm, a nice and well balanced post there Unc² ! You just can't beat a massive dose of sarcasm on a Sunday afternoon!!

Oh, I'm a real jester; people always use to get mad at me, but I mean it well, y'know. :shrug: These same people get to know me better afterwards, and then will invariably affirm to have been such a weepy smiley35.gif for havin' ever gotten mad at me. Nuthin' personal; it's just I had a rough upbringin'... enjoy pullin' everybody's legs a little, so I won't get mad at all when somebody decides to give me a taste of my own medicine... :bleh:

FWIW I built the Tamiya FRS1 about 15 years ago as a "build and detail" article for SAMi. Nick Greenall of the Harrier SIG has that model now, and it appears on the SIG table at various shows. Most of my comments here are from memory, and you may have noted that I don't think this kit is as bad as others may say,....

This one, Bill?

As for the bulbous nose - most of the problem here is caused by the windscreen's shape and size, and those awful intakes. The radome just looks too big.

So, do ya think the issue about the bulbous nose on the Tamiya Shar could be corrected by reworkin' just the windshield and radome, or is it rather the whole thing from the radome back to the intakes which needs to be fixed? With regard to the intakes per se; whut do ya think about timt's statement above referring to Heritage Aviation's 1/48 Harrier w/ dropped doors resin intake correction? Guess this set could be grafted onto the Tamiya Shar, mate?

No photo's I'm afraid - unless you can find a copy of that SAMi magazine.............

Shesh...!!! :shutup: Well, thanks anyway. Any chances that ya'd be able to recall which volume and issue of SAMi yer article appeared in, Bill?

Cheers, Bill! :cheers: Seen yer 1/48 Airfix Shar build on ARC tho. Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal awesome, mate!

Unc²

This one, Bill?

So, do ya think the issue about the bulbous nose on the Tamiya Shar could be corrected by reworkin' just the windshield and radome, or is it rather the whole thing from the radome back to the intakes which needs to be fixed? With regard to the intakes per se; whut do ya think about timt's statement above referring to Heritage Aviation's 1/48 Harrier w/ dropped doors resin intake correction? Guess this set could be grafted onto the Tamiya Shar, mate?

Shesh...!!! :shutup: Well, thanks anyway. Any chances that ya'd be able to recall which volume and issue of SAMi yer article appeared in, Bill?

Cheers, Bill! :cheers: Seen yer 1/48 Airfix Shar build on ARC tho. Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal awesome, mate!

Unc²

This one......you can just about make out my SHAR out on the cover!

av_cov_02_08.jpg

Vol 2 Iss 8 August 1996!!! Oh dear!!!!!

I really can't remember where the issues are on the nose now - I think that they are spread everywhere - a bit here and a bit theter - it all adds up! Compare it to the Airfix nose - not in itself perfect, but certainly better proportioned. I see that Heritage Aviation do intakes for both the Airfix and Tamiya kits - I'm sure they'd be an improvement!

I also seem to recall that the fuelage area aft of the wings may be a bit too short -though that may be my memory playing tricks!

Edited by Bill Clark

Johann / Jonathan - sorry, you are correct - it was not Series 3 but 5. The one I referred to as the Series 3 is the original release with the GR3 wheel-up on the cover 3(F) sqdn, as opposed to wheels down with 1417 Flight. Both are Series 5.

BTW, this inability to differentiate 3 and 5 may be the reason I got so drunk playing fizz-buzz down the rugby club, thus destroying any brain cells I had managed to retain during the rugby game. Clearly the drinking did for the rest.

Better go and update the Harrier SIG kit list as well now!

This one......you can just about make out my SHAR out on the cover!

av_cov_02_08.jpg

Vol 2 Iss 8 August 1996!!! Oh dear!!!!!

Aw, my usual kind of luck... :fraidnot: Tried to get that Volume 2 Issue 8 just to take a peek at yer article and...

ScaleAviationModeller.jpg

Billy; mind if I start a thread askin' any good samaritan on this forum who may have yer article for a scan, mate? How many pages was it comprised of, again?

Thank ya veru much for the advice, Bill!

Unc²

Billy; mind if I start a thread askin' any good samaritan on this forum who may have yer article for a scan, mate? How many pages was it comprised of, again?

Thank ya veru much for the advice, Bill!

Unc²

Thats cool Unc².... I doubt whether I still have a copy - though I'll have a look, you never know. I really can't remember how many pages it was....

I doubt whether I still have a copy - though I'll have a look, you never know.

Awlrighty then, Billy! :thumbsup: Gonna start a thread askin' for a scan of yer article. If ya happened to find that specific Volume 2 Issue 8 of Scale Aviation Modeller and have the time left for a scan, please reply to the thread, aye? Thanks once again, mate!

:cheers:

Unc²

Edith (Piaf): edith-piaf.jpg:lol:

Do ya think it'd be worth replacin' the whole Tamiya 1/48 Shar FRS.1's odd-shaped airframe aft of the cockpit with Airfix's 1/48 Harrier GR.3? Would it be accurate?

Edited by Uncle Uncool

• 4 years later...

I can see by the images posted together that the nose is a bit fat on the Tamiya.