Vickers Wellington 1:72 Revell

Took me a bit longer than I originally planned, but it finally got done today. It was a box that got some water damage last year when the store suffered a leaky water heater in the apartment upstairs. Store owner gave it to me since it was unsellable due to missing instructions and a missing decal sheet. The instruction sheet I got from someone on this forum (Big thank you!) and I had some 1:32 Hawker Hunter Dutch decals so I used those. It's a kit that I'm going to hang in my two year old nephew's room. To say that the plane is OOB is a tad of an understatement :D

This airplane's features:

Accuracy = zero

Detailing = none

Decals = wrong country, wrong plane, wrong scale

Colours = not researched, but the Night-glow is VERY cool :D

Weathering = you're kidding me right? It's for a 2-year old! He's gonna say "Airplane" and think it's cool

Rivet counters, have fun :P

I'm posting a bunch of pictures for a friend of mine who wants to see the paint process for a plane like this.

Before anything, just masking the bits that don't need paint

P1110114.jpg

P1110115.jpg

Primer

P1110116.jpg

P1110119.jpg

Black on the bottom bits

P1110122.jpg

Masking for the camouflage layers

P1110313.jpg

P1110314.jpg

First layer of camo laid down

P1110315.jpg

Second layer done by airbrush out of hand

P1110318.jpg

P1110321.jpg

Removal of masking stuff

P1110322.jpg

Decals

P1110311.jpg

Decals added

P1110326.jpg

P1110329.jpg

P1110330.jpg

Not easy to see, but Night-Glow paint :D This is very cool stuff even though it leaves a very gritty texture to the plane.

P1110550.jpg

Edited by Basosz

Nice Dutch Wellington, looks pretty good. Did you spray with the Revel paints?

Keef and Chris: I hope so too, but I think he will. He's obsessed with planes. When he's playing in the garden he'll look up and just go "Tiegtuig" (Dutch for uhh... well not quite airplane, but close enough) and "Hoog!" (High, yes... airplanes fly high) when he sees the contrails. That really is an interest I have to keep warm over the coming years.

Thank you Mish, Chancer and Howard. To think it was just a bit of a time filler, it really did turn out pretty OK

Chancer: I did indeed paint with Revell colours. I only use Aqua because of the lack of smell. I tried Humbrol and other brands, but Revell Aqua is the only one that doesn't give me a splitting head-ache. Tamiya was the worst offender smell-wise. That stuff is absolutely horrible (great paint though).

The Revell Night-Glow stuff gives very cool results, but it's horrible to apply. Airbrushing is nearly impossible as it had a severe tendency to form droplets, and it leaves a very gritty surface. The plane now feels like sandpaper. It is of course very possible that this is all my own stupid fault. Fortunately my nephew doesn't have to get his little paws on it as I will suspend the plane from the ceiling.

All in all a fun build.