Messerschmitt 109E-1/E-3/E-4

Mike

Messerschmitt 109E-1/E-3/E-4

1:48 Airfix

boxtop.jpg

The Messerschmitt 109 was destined to be one of the iconic fighters of WWII, so it is no surprise that it is a perennial favourite of the model making public, and it follows that there should be a large number of kits available in all scales.

The number of available kits is further widened by the fact that like the Spitfire it opposed, the basic airframe of the 109 was subject to many upgrades and improvements during its working life.

This kit represents three versions of the E or "Emil", which adapted through various sub-versions, the major ones being represented here with the exception of the E-7, although a drop-tank is supplied if the modeller wishes to adapt the provided kit accordingly.

The kit arrives in Airfix's now familiar colourful red box, and inside you find two sprues of light grey styrene, and a separately bagged clear sprue with lots of pieces of canopy to allow you to build the various sub-types. Instructions, a color painting guide and a compact set of decals completes the package.

There has already been a lot of talk on the various modelling forums of the accuracy of this kit, and from my readings the overall outlook seems positive, although it's difficult for any model company to completely satisfy everyone - especially on such well known subjects as the 109.

This new tool offers a wide variety of sub-types from the box, and Airfix are to be applauded for giving us the options. Of note here are 4 different windscreens, 2 canopy rears and two main canopy parts, plus drop tank, 250kg bomb and rack carrying 4 x 50kg bombs. Also included is a gun-port insert that fits to the wing leading edge to allow the modeller to portray 4 wing mounted machine guns or 2, depending on the mark they are building.

sprue1.jpg

sprue2.jpg

The cockpit is well detailed, although the bucket seat has some rather featureless belts moulded in. These can be covered by installing the supplied pilot figure, which despite looking like the cat that got the canary on the instructions, is actually suitably sombre on the sprues. Three spinner caps are included, although only 2 are alluded to in the instructions, and inside the cowling is a basic rendition of the DB601 engine moulded to the fuselage, with additional parts making up the engine bearers. The cowling can be left off to display this, but to the purist, a lot more work would be required to bring the engine up to scratch, so it is probably best left covered.

The wings have a 1 piece lower and 2-piece upper, and care should be exercised when joining this assembly to the fuselage, so that a good join is made. Various scoops, bumps and probes are added here and there, and all of the flying surfaces can be posed deployed, with handy hints at their maximum deflection to assist you in getting a realistic stance. Leading edge slats can be deployed or stowed just be removing the mounting tabs, and the tail stays are provided with substantial mounting points to give the assembly strength.

The landing gear is supplied as separate in-flight and parked sets, with the wheels in the latter having a nice restrained bulge to the bottom of the tyre. They're also one-piece with separate hubs, which makes clean-up and painting easier. Another diagram shows you the angle at which to set the gear to the perpendicular, which is another neat touch to help out the builder.

The canopy is crisp and clear, and the integral headrest is supplied for inside the opening part. Choose the parts carefully depending on which sub-type you are modelling, and either cut off or leave the small mounting tabs on the side of the opening part, depending on whether you're modelling it closed or open.

clear.jpg

The decals are nicely printed, although the large black expanses of the balkenkreuz seem a little speckled with lighter dots, but this would hardly notice under a coat of varnish. From the sheet you can model one of three airframes as follows:

• Bf 109E-4/N Maj. Adolf Galland, France, 1940
  • Bf 109E-3 Johann Boehm, France 1940 (First Luftwaffe fighter to be shot down over UK)
  • Bf 109E-1/B France, 1940

decals.jpg

A good number of stencils and walkway guides are supplied, as well as some stencils for the bombs and props, all of which help with realism.

Conclusion

This kit has been generally well received by the Luftwaffe experts, and should build into a nice replica out of the box with little trouble. Panel lines are crisp but on the heavy side, and detail is good, even on the basic engine moulded to the fuselage.

Its major competition is the Tamiya Emil, and given the likely difference in price, I would say that this kit should sell well, especially given the fact that you can build at least three sub-types of the Emil from the box.

Review sample courtesy of logo.gif

Im not sure if we are supposed to reply to Reviews or not but there is a comment I wanted to make.

Im mid way through my 109 and Im of the opinion (opinionated as I can be) that this kit is at the very least equal if not superior to anything that the more exotic far Eastern manufacturers have turned out...... the internet modeling fraternity (from what Ive read) just seems to be afraid to say so.....

So there you are, it wasnt that difficult

Well done and top marx to Airfix

Richard McC

Edited by Dad 10

Im not sure if we are supposed to reply to Reviews or not but there is a comment I wanted to make.

Im mid way through my 109 and Im of the opinion (opinionated as I can be) that this kit is at the very least equal if not superior to anything that the more exotic far Eastern manufacturers have turned out...... the internet modeling fraternity (from what Ive read) just seems to be afraid to say so.....

So there you are, it wasnt that difficult

Richard McC

Polite and constructive responses to reviews are always welcome. :)

Hear hear! :clap2: It looks like Airfix intend to maintain the standard of this kit in their forthcoming releases. I can see them receiving a fair proportion of my hard-earned!

couple of things I've found in my build.

The fit of the main cowling is good, but its not very exact. I cemented some plastic strip to the fuselage halvs where the engine mouldng is - to provide a ridge for the cowl to fit against, and removed a little of the moulded detail on the nose gun ammo boxes, as that seemed to be interfering with the fit too.

I also found that I had to use a bit of coercion on the cowl to bend it outwards a little - ie to make it a little widder.

Another thing to watch for is the exhaust inserts. The fit is very tight - especially after a coat of primer and then paint. Its nice to have them as separate inserts as it makes the painting easy, but do watch the fit if you are adding them after painting. The exhausts themselves have a rather delicately moulded square depression to mimic the exhaust hole on each stub. This takes wash of black very nicely, and looks the part.

The finesse of trailing edges on the model is I think very good, and the detail on someof the parts is great too. For £14 its a bargain.

Jonners

Edited by Jon Kunac-Tabinor

Also included is a gun-port insert that fits to the wing leading edge to allow the modeller to portray 4 wing mounted machine guns or 2, depending on the mark they are building.

Hi Mike- just clarify here - I think you mean inserts allow either a wing mounted machine gun ( for the E-1) or a wing mounted cannon ( for the E-3 & 4). The cannon inserts also show the covered over machine gun opening too, as the cannon was mounted outboard of the orginal machine gun opening and this hole was just covered over by a patch.

Jonners

Hi Mike- just clarify here - I think you mean inserts allow either a wing mounted machine gun ( for the E-1) or a wing mounted cannon ( for the E-3 & 4). The cannon inserts also show the covered over machine gun opening too, as the cannon was mounted outboard of the orginal machine gun opening and this hole was just covered over by a patch.

Jonners

Yes... couldn't remember offhand whether it was cannon or guns, and couldn't be bothered looking it up due to lack of sleep (see avatar pic for details) :blush:

The fit of the cowling is a bit dodgy but if you look at some photographs, the fit of the cowling on the real machine, even on operational aircraft wasnt that great.

Richard McC

Edited by Dad 10

• Julien locked this topic