Boeing 787 Dreamliner Metal landing Gear

Boeing 787 Dreamliner White Metal Landing Gear set.

1/144 scale from Scale Aircraft Conversions

787%20UC1.JPG

The Boeing 787 Dreamliner is Boeings newest twin engine wide body airliner. It is built mainly from composite materials and is due to enter service at the end of 2010. Zvezda produce a kit in 1/144 scale, and has been reviewed here.

Scale Aircraft Conversions now offer a set of metal landing gear to add more strength and detail to this area. Both the nose, and main gear are included in this set.

Main Gear

787%20UC2.JPG

Nose gear

787%20UC3.JPG

There are no instructions in this set, but the parts are direct replacements for the kit parts so the kit instructions will show where they fit. There is no flash on the review sample and I have test fitted the parts to my build and they are a straight fit.

Conclusion

From the box review, and test fitting against the Zvezda kit these are a direct replacement parts for the kit plastic. The parts are well detailed, but no more than the kit parts however, they are much stronger. The plastic kit main gear legs are long and may bend over time - especially if you add nose weight to your build.

I will be using these on the kit review that I am doing here

review sample courtesy of SAC.jpg

Edited by richellis

Assuming you look after your kit, why should the kit gear legs bend over time?

Is there a point to spending money on these?

Assuming you look after your kit, why should the kit gear legs bend over time?

Is there a point to spending money on these?

It depends. If your kit's centre of gravity isn't above the undercarriage, it may introduce bending loads that will eventually distort the plastic. Most aircraft kits end up like this because we counterweight them instead of relying on engines, structures etc to place the CG correctly, and we add more weight through extra detailing. On the other hand, a lot of kits have sturdy plastic legs that are unlikely to suffer too much. I will say, though, that my MiG-23 has sagged over just three years or so, because the legs are too long for their thickness and can't take it any more. (Mind you, being MiG-23 legs, they do poke out to the side.)

However -

There is no instructions in this set, but the parts are the same as the kit parts with extra detail included so the kit instructions will show where they fit.

these are a direct replasement parts for the kit plastic. The parts are well detailed, but no more than the kit parts but they are stronger. The plastic kit main gear legs are long and may bend over time.

- which of the statements in bold is correct?

pigsty, well spotted, I did some cutting and pasting of the text while doing it and missed that!

busdriver, Im not sure but I recieved mine within a couple of days from SAC direct. there is a link if you click on the SAC logo

Edited by richellis