Eurofighter Typhoon Photo-Etched Detail Set

Eurofighter Typhoon Photo-Etched Detail Set

1:32 Revell

boxtop.jpg

This marks an interesting diversification for Revell, as to my (admittedly limited) knowledge, they have not released aftermarket sets for their own kits before.

This set has a certain style about it that leads me to believe that it has been made for them by those Photo-Etched (PE) gurus, Eduard - even the instructions fit their style, although the Revell logo is on all of the parts.

So what's in the resealable plastic envelope? Two sheets of PE that are aimed squarely at improving the cockpit. The majority of the parts are pre-painted, which moves this set closer to the mainstream and full instructions are included on the handling of PE, which is good news for the novice.

pe1.jpg

Following the instructions, you get a full set of pre-colored parts for the main instrument panel, replacement side consoles, plus a set of rudder pedals. Some cockpit sill details are included, and all of these parts are on the slightly larger sheet.

The smaller sheet contains the balance of the parts which are provided to improve the detail of the kit seat. It includes textures cushions, data placards, headbox details and a LOT of parts to portray the complex tangle of belts and straps that secures a modern fighter pilot to his seat. Here Revell have worked hard to make it easy for the builder, as the main strap parts have been pre-printed on both sides of the PE, so that no bare metal is visible once they are folded to shape.

Conclusion

This set should be accessible to the skills of most modellers, and although the cutting of some parts to prepare for the new PE parts will be required, it shouldn't prove too daunting for the novice as long as they follow the instructions carefully and cut the parts from the fret with a sharp knife on a hard work surface.

Once installed, these parts will improve the detail of the cockpit immensely, and improve the slightly inaccurate MFD screens on the Instrument Panel no end, adding the buttons and simplified bezel that was missing from the original.

My only slight concern is the bluish hue of the side consoles, which seems a little at variance with the normal cockpit interior color.

Review sample courtesy of

logo-revell-2009.gif

Aha - it's alive at last!

I believe it's actually the second photo etch set for their aircraft kits - first was for the Ju-88.

And, yes, I believe Eduard (although I may be wrong).

Any idea on cost/availability?

Iain

Well spotted Iain - I think there's going to be more of them judging by the release schedules for this year :)

The RRP for this set is £16.99, and they should be available pretty much now, I think.

• 2 weeks later...

These are definitely the Eduard sets under Revell's badge. No question of it - I have the belts and they are identical. Even the Revell instructions (you can see them in the photo of the package) appear to be identical to Eduard's. I was expecting a detail set similar to what Italeri have done with some of their kits and to just have a re-packaged set of PE from Eduard is a disappointment.

As for the blueish hue on the cockpit panels, it is there and it is incorrect, but isn't too bad.

Edited by Bobski

Thanks for the review Mike, that set looks good. One question though, are the knobs and switches raised or just painted on?

They're both. Some are raised & painted, some are just painted. It's not the busiest of cockpits in the real world (great to avoid pilot overload during missions), and this is reflected in the set. :)

They're both. Some are raised & painted, some are just painted. It's not the busiest of cockpits in the real world (great to avoid pilot overload during missions), and this is reflected in the set. :)

Thanks Mike, it's good to hear that there is at least some relief. In the smaller scales such as 1/72 painted on details are ok but I do feel that larger scales need more of a "3D" finish.

Tony :clif:

• 3 months later...