Revell 1/72 Space Shuttle

nice!! must be BIG!

and looks great

but why in sci-fi :unsure:

Thanks for the comments guys..

The model will be depict as Landing once finished.....

Saw a fellow member posted his Saturn V somewhere here too...So I guess same goes for me..there seems to be no Real Space catagory..? :innocent:

Very tasty.

I particularly like the way the shading and weathering gives a tremendous sense of scale.

Phil.

The Shuttle has completed its decalling..and I sealed with clear coat.

The weathering effect is not complete yet there are various places

to apply such as the nose cone, wing leading edge and fuselage sides..so is the under belly

which to replicate each tiles in various shades makes a dauting tasks ahead.

I'm now working on the Landing Gear Doors.

The Landing gear itself will be detailed with hydraulics lines prior installing.

Once all done..I'll post it as

Revell 1/72 Shuttle Atlantis just landed..with tail rudder split open and deployed as air brake.....hmmm

maybe add a drag chute too??

Cheers.... :winkgrin:

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Very nice work - I don't think I have built the SS since Hasegawa first released their original 1/200 back in the 80's? I once made a Moonraker branded kit from Airfix or Revell kit but that was before the Hasegawa version came to the market. I love your work which is a reminder of my childhood spent watching the 747 host carrying test flights, original flight & landing, launch explosion etc. It is such a shame that yet again, just like we saw with Concorde, mankind chooses to ditch a magnificent piece of engineering.

Thanks for posting your work - tip top

• Like 1

I'll correct the above comment -

"Mankind chooses to ditch a fatally flawed, dangerous and inefficient form of engineering" - and decides to replace it with a new space vehicle that will actually take people somewhere beyond low earth orbit.

Lovely Shuttle by the way (I see the pictures were posted five years ago).

Having worked directly with numerous employees, contractors and more than one administrator from NASA, the above comment would be taken as a very personal slight. You may wish to reword/rethink tyour above statement Eric - and help to keep things both civil, and factual.

With that said, space travel of any form has never been emperically easy, safe, and certainly not routine. But it does push the limits of human thought like nothing else. I can remember working on this kit myself may ages ago, and it is indeed commanding in it's size. I think I went so far as to add a bit of scratched detail to the cockpit, including fiber optics, and LED lighting. Not the most accurate representation of the STS orbiters, but a very good base to bouild out from certainly, this kit.

On a recent trip to the Steven F Udvar-Hazy Center, I was able to spend some time up close and personal with Discovery. To call it a moving experience doesn't come close. I'll share some shots here in the hopes that Jetplane may find some inspiration as the final finish is applied to this kit. Sadly, i only had the mobile with me at the time, and not the bigger (better) camera and lens. but I was able to grab a fair amount of detail all the same:

Discovery1.jpg

Discovery2.jpg

Discovery3.jpg

Discovery4.jpg

Discovery5.jpg

Discovery6.jpg

Discovery7.jpg

Discovery8.jpg

Discovery9.jpg

Discovery10.jpg

Discovery11.jpg

Discovery12.1.jpg

Discovery13.jpg

Discovery14.jpg

Discovery15.jpg

Discovery16.jpg

Discovery17.jpg

Discovery18.jpg

Discovery19.jpg

Discovery20.jpg

Discovery21.jpg

Discovery22.jpg

Discovery23.jpg

Discovery24.jpg

Discovery25.jpg

Discovery26.2.jpg

Hope some of these may help keep the creativity flowing, and perhaps assist in your final finish. Cracking work so far. Keep it up!

Brian~

You should know me by now that there is no way I would want to denigrate anybody who works in the space business - especially those who are responsible for looking after and ensuring that manned missions are as safe as possible.

On the whole, the Shuttle's problems had little to do with those who worked on it, looked after it and readied it for flight.

It's problems lay in the basic concept. It was flawed. There is little doubt that no agency will ever again commission a spacecraft that features a manned component of the craft attached to the side of a rocket. It is just asking for trouble - and ensures that effective and realistic abort systems are difficult if not impossible to design into the system.

And there is no doubt that the two Shuttles that were lost were lost due to poor decision making at top management level. I have read enough now on the Shuttle programme to know where the problems were. And I have listened to and watched enough documentaries to understand how the programme evolved over time and how it went through phases when maybe some of the standards by which manned operations should be carried out were allowed to take a lower priority as political and commercial pressures were brought to bear.

NASA made the right decision to retire the Shuttle as quickly as they could after Columbia was destroyed in 2003. They have now got a good plan which I think will really further true manned space exploration. It's only flaw is that budgetary constraints mean it is going forward at too slow a pace for me.

Those pictures are fantastic by the way and I will certainly refer to them when doing my next Shuttle project (I have a few planned)