Trumpeter Lightning issues ?

Tsrjoe

iv just been looking over the Trumpeter 1/72 scale EE. Lightning ...

is it just me or is there a serious accuracy problem with the kit? (and no im not referring to the oft quoted and easily fixed rear end issues!)

having looked at a number of photographs of the aircraft as well as checking over 2 actual airframes at the weekend to recheck what i was seeing (Elvington and Carlisle) there is something seriously wrong with where the canopy is in relation to where the wing leading edge meets the fuselage, the kit having the le. about midway to the canopy wheras the actual aircraft sits more toward the rear of the canopy (compare pics of the actual aircraft with the model and youll see what im getting at !?? im not sure where the problem lies wither the wing or cockpit positioning, ill have to source some 'accurate' drawings to check ?

im not sure if the larger 1/32 scale release has similar issues, iv not come across any comments re same in the reviews iv read either, any thoughts ???

cheers, joe

Edited by Tsrjoe

iv just been looking over the Trumpeter 1/72 scale EE. Lightning ...

is it just me or is there a really serious accuracy problem with the kit? (and no im not referring to the oft quoted and easily fixed rear end issues!)

having looked at a number of photographs of the aircraft as well as checking over 2 actual airframes at the weekend to recheck what i was seeing (Elvington and Carlisle) there is something seriously wrong with where the canopy is in relation to where the wing leading edge meets the fuselage, the kit having the le. about midway to the canopy wheras the actual aircraft sits more toward the rear of the canopy (compare pics of the actual aircraft with the model and youll see what im getting at !?? im not sure where the problem lies wither the wing or cockpit positioning, ill have to source some 'accurate' drawings to check ?

im not sure if the larger 1/32 scale release has similar issues, iv not come across any comments re same in the reviews iv read either, any thoughts ???

cheers, joe

Just sitting here looking at Lightning pics and from what I can see the leading edge meets the fuselage just slightly forwards of an imaginary line drawn down at right angles from where the canopy cranks upwards. I don't have the Trumpy kit so cant compare it but I have an Airfix 1/48 one here and it matches photos. I'm at work at the mo but will check more when I get home.

HTH

Andy

I have several of these kits in the stash, will have a look for ya.

JB.

Edited by Fmk.6john

Right!, had a dig through my scale plans and references and AP's, it appears that Trumpy have got it slightly wrong, what exactly is wrong is down to a few things, the WLE is slightly forward of where it should be and the canopy side rails are a little shorter than they should be too, these contribute to the scale of the error, essentially though the panel lines and fuselage markings all tally in with the WLE.

As for correcting this minor error is down to you, the canopy could be jigged to fit and the WLE shaved to bring it into line, but then again unless you carry a magnifying glass and a set of scale drawing to every model show with you then it would be hard to pick up, is it woth the effort basically when the first thing most rivet counters would check out is that you had sorted that horrid harris out!!!.

One ref. shot that gives you an idea where the WLE should be.......

IMG_0854.jpg#

The yellow 'chop' line is marked on the rear of the canopy frame and points straight down at the WLE.

HTH,

JB.

Right!, had a dig through my scale plans and references and AP's, it appears that Trumpy have got it slightly wrong, what exactly is wrong is down to a few things, the WLE is slightly forward of where it should be and the canopy side rails are a little shorter than they should be too, these contribute to the scale of the error, essentially though the panel lines and fuselage markings all tally in with the WLE.

As for correcting this minor error is down to you, the canopy could be jigged to fit and the WLE shaved to bring it into line, but then again unless you carry a magnifying glass and a set of scale drawing to every model show with you then it would be hard to pick up, is it woth the effort basically when the first thing most rivet counters would check out is that you had sorted that horrid harris out!!!.

One ref. shot that gives you an idea where the WLE should be.......

IMG_0854.jpg#

The yellow 'chop' line is marked on the rear of the canopy frame and points straight down at the WLE.

HTH,

JB.

Yup, quite correct. I wonder if the 1/32 Trumpy Lightning has it correct? Maybe someone who has it can comment. I haven't got one as I just cant get past all the horrible bullet holes in it. Thankfully I have an Echelon one.

Andy

Elvington and Carlisle in a weekend, boy u get around, for what it's worth, the Carlisle one has had the wings sawn off then nailed back on to allow it to travel

I think you can count on one hand the number of surviving Lightnings that have not had their wings and tails cut, twas the way in those days!!!.

Regards,

JB.

Joe

I am so pleased that you have raised this as I was just having the same concerns. Then I read Peter Doyle's nifty article in MAM this month - he also raises the concern and confirmed by belief that all was not well.

I believe that the Trumpy airframe may well be basically ok, just they have positioned the wing too far forwards - by as much as 3mm, perhaps. How do I get to this?

I offered the kit up against the Linewrights Aeroguide for the F.3/6 Lightning. I don't know how this publication is viewed these days but back in '84 when it was first published it was pretty much the dog's danglies as a reference guide. Anyway on with the findings.

Pic 1 shows the fuselage laid over the plan and shows a reasonable match - not perfect but reasonable. Maybe do with a little more depth to the nose area and clearly showing the excessive depth to the belly tank.

IMG_0035.jpg

Pic 2. seems that the wing has a fair outline, proportion and, importantly, sweep though the outer flap outline should be perpendicular to the T/E, not sweeping inwards.

IMG_0036.jpg

Pic 3 - wing mounted into fuselage slot. The L/E root is actually covering that little panel (dunno what it's for!) that John's great pic above shows to be a significant distance ahead of the wing. Clearly the L/E is too far forward.

IMG_0038.jpg

Based on the 1st 2 pix showing the proportions, wing sweep and chord are all roughly right there is only one conclusion that I can reach - the wing is mounted too far forwards.

Hope that makes sense - I've tried to be logical and methodical about it - all comments welcome! :analintruder:

cheers

Rick

The wings ARE wrong..they sit far too high as well - and the F6/F2a misses the all important kinks out board and on the leading edge. The "straight-winged" version is marginally better, but again still looks wrong..

..in addition to the rear end, canopy, nose ring being too deep, belly (on F6) being too deep, no IFR probe.........

Soooo. its back to my Matchbox F6!!!!

Edited by Bill Clark