Hellenic RF-4E Phantom

Stryker

This is the Hasegawa 1/48 Hellenic RF-4E. The kit went together well but the decals were absolutely terrible. They were extremely brittle and some disintegrated beyond saving. Much of the yellow is all painted instead of decals and several spots had to be redone by hand due too crappy decals ruining the overall affect.

002_zps5d0ae5ff.jpg

015_zps90dd3433.jpg

014_zps4fafcc68.jpg

013_zpsc636e314.jpg

012_zps158f4c97.jpg

010_zpsf0e6b8eb.jpg

009_zps99d4af60.jpg

001_zpsb9ab4c55.jpg

• Like 1

Looks very good to me.

Know hasegawa got the lettering the wrong size on the fuselage stripes and the wing roundels labelled wrong.

I got a set from a Greek modeller who makes replacements. Web page is threestarsdecals.com. The guy is not too good at English but persevere and he has some nice sets that are worth it.

Looks great, we're they kit decals or aftermarket ones?

Antony

These were the kit decals and this is the second issue that I have experienced with disintegrating Hasegawa decals. I did a Kai Phantom a while back and the entire sheet was crap. So brittle they were actually cracking on the paper. I was able to get a replacement set that time but from now on, IF I plan to do a Hasegawa kit, especially a Phantom, I will count on just using aftermarket from the get go. Shame on Hasegawa for charging so much for a standard kit and receiving such low quality decals!

Good Build. I especially like your paintwork Looks like a jungle green of sorts...I really like it.

Belle

Thanks Belle. I mixed that color using Tamiya Flat green and yellow zinc chromate until I got close to what I was trying to replicate.

• Like 1

Nice kit mate!

Just one notice: Hasegawa has made a huge error on the side decals (yellow bands writing "Phabulus Phantoms Phorever"). One side (left) is correct and the other one (right) is not designed as the real one. Just take a look at pics of the real Phantom. ;)

By the way, it's hase's mistake and not yours.

Well done for the final result! :goodjob:

Nice job there fella and well done for saving the decal problems.

Btw - @nirvanagr, I'm confused - what's the problem with the decals?

Just one notice: Hasegawa has made a huge error on the side decals (yellow bands writing "Phabulus Phantoms Phorever"). One side (left) is correct and the other one (right) is not designed as the real one. Just take a look at pics of the real Phantom. ;)

By the way, it's hase's mistake and not yours.

Looks to me like the machine as shown at RIAT '09 or is there something I can't see?

IMG_0405.jpg

Also, what is the reason, anybody why there are two types of wing marking? Zaps?

Anyway, nice work firebird, sorry if I've semi-hijacked the thread.

cheers

Rick

Nice Phantom. although there is a couple of errors on it, some of which where out of your control.

1/ You've got the upper roundels on the opposite wings, it should be the Standard roundel on the Port(left) and the Sun of Macedonia on the Starboard(Right).

2/ The Norm 83a scheme consists of Olive Green RAL6003, Dark Green FS34079 and Black Grey RAL7021, it looks like you've only used two Greens and the lighter of the two being far too Yellow.

3/ The Standard Roundels are Dark Blue and not the Mid Blue that you've used.

@spad,

The non standard roundel is based on flag of Central Macedonia, which is the area in Greece that Larissa AB is situated.

Edited by scotthldr