Me-109 AE479

Julien

I am doing this from the airfix club kit, normally a jet modeller so dont know much about this period.

Would the inside of the wheel wells be the original German colour or would they have got a nice coat of yellow when we repainted it?

also what colour should the wheel hubs be? airfix destructions a bit vague on this!

Thanks

Julien

The aircraft went through various transformations after its capture but by early 1941 the undersides were entirely yellow. Initially the control surfaces had been left in RLM 65 (a light and surprisingly bright blue). The million dollar question is,did they bother to mask the wheel wells before applying the yellow? If not they would at the very least have received an over spray of yellow,as may have the inside of the undercarriage doors,otherwise they would have been in RLM 02 ( a grey green colour).

The wheels would have been black. A late picture of the aircraft in the US shows them looking lighter,either heavily weathered or possibly repainted.

Cheers

Steve

You mean this one?

3915596794_1872ccc9e2_o.jpg

HSR48d002.jpg

ghsref2.jpg

One that Carol's great uncle evaluated against Bob Stanford-Tuck in a Spit. I have a 1/32 to do. Wouldn't mind any info you have when you are done.

Ta

Frank

Edited by bentwaters81tfw

One thing about the underside of AE479 - it was incredibly mucky!!

AE479-15x-1.jpg

One theory I have seen is that the undersides of the tailplane were in RLM 65, coming as they did from another airframe - the elevators certainly seem a different colour. Note also the flaky paint on the starboard underside.

Some more views:

AE479-11x.jpg

AE479-10x.jpg

AE479-12x.jpg

AE479-13x.jpg

AE479-16x-1.jpg

AE479-17x.jpg

AE479-9x.jpg

AE479-8x.jpg

3601L.jpg

Another of the colour ones - not sure of the provenance of these, they look like they were taken in the States. I suspect she has been repainted, as the colours don't match either the French or RAF schemes.

00463.jpg

And I suspect this one is colourised:

109clrbrit1.jpg

Edited by Dave Fleming

Airfix is vauge because they have no idea either lol. It could have been RLM 65 blue, or 02 grey or yellow, or they might no thave bothered to mask them off when spraying the yellow. They would be the logical guesses, but unless someone comes up with a colour picture of the wheel wells, pick which one you like the best, that's the best advice I can give you :)

The colour shots show the original German upper scheme, the second one with the fuel bowser was obviousely taken at the same time and location as the first, with RAF personnel in the background, so she had not been repainted at that time, still showing the German unit badge and tech. stencils. Third shot is USA by the uniform and hangar. Been repainted into DG/DE/Yellow at that point.

Edited by bentwaters81tfw

The colour shots show the original German upper scheme, the second one with the fuel bowser was obviousely taken at the same time and location as the first, with RAF personnel in the background, so she had not been repainted at that time, still showing the German unit badge and tech. stencils. Third shot is USA by the uniform and hangar. Been repainted into DG/DE/Yellow at that point.

I don't think they were - at the time she was painted into DK/DE/Yellow (1940/ early 1941), there would not have been US Army tankers with 'GASOLINE' on the side in the UK. She was shipped to the US in January 1942.

These were taken around the time of her arrival in the UK - note the early 'E-3' type windscreen, as oposed to the E-4 type she had as AE479 and in the colour shots.

AE479-6x.jpg

AE479-5x.jpg

AE479-3x.jpg

AE479-2x.jpg

AE479-4x.jpg

(Note the Type A1 roundels on the upper surface - this is hopw she was flown in the UK in 1940. I need to check when the 'flyabout photos were taken )

This shot:

AE479-8x.jpg

was taken in the US after her arrival, I suspect she was then partially repainted and at the same time her original insignia uncovered.

Here's another underside shot.

AE479_01.jpg

Edited by Dave Fleming

Arh the good old answer is no definite answer.

She did get dirty and weathered. I have decided I will do the aircraft as freshly sprayed by RAE as I am not to hot on weathering the hell out of stuff.

One interesting note from these pics are the lack of wing guns, Airfix dont tell you this, would these holes have been faired over, the pics seem to show a darker area there? perhaps dope tape?

The front screen is interesting as I cant see that one in the options in the kit.

Thanks for everyone's replies

Julien

Middle shot on 'Page 87' shows guns still fitted.

Still wearing German markings there, I want to do it on the DG/DE/Yellow scheme.

Julien

Julien

If you look at the colour photo Dave posted (the one with the bowser in the background) look at the leading edge just under the "US" on the bowser. I 'think' I can see a faired-over gun port. That's how I modelled mine many moons ago.

Trevor

Julien

If you look at the colour photo Dave posted (the one with the bowser in the background) look at the leading edge just under the "US" on the bowser. I 'think' I can see a faired-over gun port. That's how I modelled mine many moons ago.

Trevor

Cheers,

Just wondering if it was a permanent fix with say metal or just doped fabric. Looks pretty regular in the pics so I am thinking a more permanent job.

Julien

Greetings,

Nothing to add on the camo and markings. The Official Monogram Painting Guide to German Aircraft 1935-1945 states that this aircraft eventually ended up at Kearns Army Air Field in Utah, USA (page 19). This airfield is now South Valley Airport (Salt Lake City Airport #2). I fly general aviation aircraft out of South Valley Airport these days. I have often wondered if the Bf 109E AE479 might be buried in a dump site on the airport. That would be so cool if it was discovered and could be displayed. Most likely it was scrapped and melted down after the war.

If anyone knows anything else about the disposition of this aircraft I would like to hear about it.

Cheers!

With regard to weight and balance issues of AE479, I wonder if, had they removed the guns and faired over the apertures, would they have ballasted the gun locations with a suitable mass of something or other?

Cheers,

Just wondering if it was a permanent fix with say metal or just doped fabric. Looks pretty regular in the pics so I am thinking a more permanent job.

Julien

It's not a red dope patch and seems to have been painted in the surrounding colours. In model form I would just fill the hole and paint it.

Trevor

Greetings,

Nothing to add on the camo and markings. The Official Monogram Painting Guide to German Aircraft 1935-1945 states that this aircraft eventually ended up at Kearns Army Air Field in Utah, USA (page 19). This airfield is now South Valley Airport (Salt Lake City Airport #2). I fly general aviation aircraft out of South Valley Airport these days. I have often wondered if the Bf 109E AE479 might be buried in a dump site on the airport. That would be so cool if it was discovered and could be displayed. Most likely it was scrapped and melted down after the war.

If anyone knows anything else about the disposition of this aircraft I would like to hear about it.

Cheers!

It was damaged beyond repair in late 1942, but it' sultimate disposition seems to be unrecorded.

Indeed. Library copy I'm afraid, they fetch £150 a copy now.

My copy was a present from my wife, after I lusted after it in a second hand book shop, but thought it out my price range. I think she paid £30 in 1997.

• 2 weeks later...

One last couple of questions; what colour is the prop? my instructions have a misprint and no call out is give, the spinner is called out as humbrol 91, is the prop the same?

Lastly did the aircraft have an aerial wire? I cant see one in the pics?

Cheers,

Julien

The propeller would have been RLM 70 which is what Humbrol 91 is representing. In the colour photos it looks to have remained that way with the addition of yellow tips. I understand that repainting propeller blades entails all sorts of rebalancing etc. ( but I'm not an aircraft engineer :) )

The aircraft certainly had an antenna wire when it was still in Luftwaffe service,whether it was still fitted as it passed through the hands of the allies I don't know.

Cheers

Steve

Greetings,

Cheers!

A little further reading points to it being sent to Chanute Field, Illinois, after the crash for technical training

Lastly did the aircraft have an aerial wire? I cant see one in the pics?

Cheers,

Julien

It did iniitially at Boscombe Down, but I suspect not when flying after re-paint

I've just remembered some points from when I did my 1/72 Heller rendering *ahem* years ago.

1. tailplane struts - look at the pix of the underside. Whilst one is clearly the same colour as the underside, the other seems to have been partly painted in upper surface camo. Two different 'erks paiting it up maybe?

2. Just behind the port cockpit glazing is some stencilled writing - never been able to make it out though

3. The octane triangle on the starboard side overlaps the roundel.

Trevor

Edited by Max Headroom