Boeing CV-230 Herculean

Remember how I was playing with the idea of blending the kits below for my next whif project..... ;)

001-79.jpg

... Well, I had a rethink and I felt that it would have had an `old world` look about it and I wanted to look into the furture, well...., say 20 years on anyway. :)

So out has gone the Chinook..........,

..... and in came this......!

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

027-5.jpg

............... so it will be a 1/72 Herc fuselage with the 1/48 scale winglets and rotors. This should even it all out a bit when it comes to power/weight ratio.

Coming soon. :devil:

Cheers for the comments chaps. I like the visual, where did that come from?

Anyway, like all inventors/visionists/madmen, I found a few moments today to fit a few bits together with tape to see if this idea really was viable. I think it is, and depending on the reach of the rotors, I may well leave the tail as it is so it keeps it`s heritage looks.

Of course, as you can see, some major surgery is going to be needed to fit that wing. :wacko::o

014-38.jpg

015-37.jpg

016-32.jpg

Can anyone spot the slight problem I might have in the near future....??? :lol:

005-71.jpg

007-57.jpg

008-59.jpg

So what are my options?

Well, I could adapt the Herc kit`s wings to give me a bit more length? (No sniggering at the back please....) :D

Or I could extend the Osprey`s winglets?

Or I could pour myself a large JD, watch Match of the Day and sleep on it?

Hmmm, option 3 it is then. ;)

I like the sound of this WHIFF and personally speaking I would retain the Hercules wings as stubs to mount the Osprey engines on but cut away the Herk fin and use the end plate fins from the Osprey instead as the fin would look awkward. What about shortening the Herk fuselage a little behind the cockpit too as that would make it look much better and would probably be more realistic?

All the best

Tony O

Cheers for the comments chaps. I like the visual, where did that come from?

It is from a Japanese Anime show called Appleseed, availalble on DVD

Can anyone spot the slight problem I might have in the near future....??? :lol:

So what are my options?

Well, I could adapt the Herc kit`s wings to give me a bit more length? (No sniggering at the back please....) :D

Or I could extend the Osprey`s winglets?

Or I could pour myself a large JD, watch Match of the Day and sleep on it?

Hmmm, option 3 it is then. ;)

How about you just trim the blades down? Would be the easiest I think?

Edited by TrojanThunder

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Someone suggested useing the Herc wings and attaching the engines and rotors further up the wing. This again I considered so I found the `sweet spot` and it looked good from a with point of view.

035-9.jpg

The major issue with this was the thinkness of the wing at that point. In my eyes it just would not look right going out from the wing root. ie, thick, getting thinner and then getting thick again. I`d also have to look at fitting outriggers to support the weight. Again this was going to be too complex IMPO.

036-5.jpg

So it came down to this.

037-8.jpg

I`m going to just cut down the middle and then `graft` the two pieces on top of the existing Herc wing routes. This way it will cover up a lot of the part that don`t need to be seen while adding a bit of length. I can then add a few bits from the spares box like one half of a fuel tank to cover up any gaps, but it should still give it a stream lined look without covering the whole thing in filler.

It won`t be a pretty build, but the end result might just be worth the hassle.

038-8.jpg

So I made the cut, or destroyed a perfectly good model, depending on your point of view?

The following pics are of the layout masked together and I now have the clearance between the tip of the rotor and fuselage. In one shot you wil see that the underside wingroot is going to need a lot of work, but that the price you pay I suppose for getting a reasonably `clean` topside. I will obviously need to put in supports through the fuselage and into the wings, but will be much later. Next job is to start on the cockpit and build the fuselage.

042-2.jpg

039-9.jpg

040-3.jpg

043-5.jpg

Now that the 74 Meatbox has finished, I could turn my attention back to the Herc. This time I needed to think about the tail section layout so out come the masking tape and a helpful amount of blue-tac.

Option one is simply to keep the tail as it is. A bit boring, but easy on the eye and keeps the look of the original C-130.

012-38.jpg

Option two needs a healthy amount of surgery to create a T-tail look. As much as I`d love the tail mainplanes to cross at the top, it just wouldn`t look right so they wil need to be lowed like so.....

013-47.jpg

Of course, if anyone has an A-400 tail section they want to donate...... :lol:

Option three is relatively easy to do with few complications and I have to admit, I quite like this one myself. I think it gives a modern up to date look about it.

014-40.jpg

As always, I`m always open to other suggestions.