Messerschmitt Bf109E-4

Jens

This is the 1/32nd scale Dragon/Cyber Hobby Messerschmitt Bf109E-4 I finished recently. The WIP thread can be found elsewhere here on BM. :)

The kit was a great pleasure to build, although you have to beware of faulty instructions (wing root bulges for instance).

My goal was to portray this JG 53 aircraft, albeit in operatonal condition:

K1gJUFZN.jpg

...and this is my model:

Bf109E_Cyb32_1060_800.jpg

Bf109E_Cyb32_1036_800.jpg

Bf109E_Cyb32_1037_800.jpg

Bf109E_Cyb32_1024_800.jpg

Bf109E_Cyb32_1028_800.jpg

Bf109E_Cyb32_1042_800.jpg

Bf109E_Cyb32_1044_800.jpg

Bf109E_Cyb32_1050_800.jpg

Bf109E_Cyb32_1051_800.jpg

Bf109E_Cyb32_1061_800.jpg

Bf109E_Cyb32_1063_800.jpg

I added additional details to the cockpit and engine area, and the antennae and canopy wire were made from fine copper wire. The springs were made of the same wire.

Jens

Thanks guys. I appreciate your comments! :)

vinnydwj: Only the national markings and stencils are decals. The white '5', vertical bar, Werk Nr and kill markings are painted on. Nobody makes decals for this bird in 1/32nd scale. ;)

Duncan B: I like the JG53 schemes too. My next Cyber Hobby Bf109E might become a Pik As bird as well. :)

Jens

My goal was to portray this JG 53 aircraft, albeit in operatonal condition:

Jens

You portrayed it very well, Jens. I like it a lot. Personally I would like to see it hanging from the crane though, like a Gamekeeper's Gibbet. Maybe for your next project.

Top job there mate, it really looks the part. Did you put seatbelts in? Can't quite make them out in your pics. Indeed a good job of a good kit.

Thanks kpc. Yes, I put RB Productions seatbelts in, but I had to modify them slightly as they were for a late-war Bf109.

Bf109E_Cyb32_2440_800.jpg

You portrayed it very well, Jens. I like it a lot. Personally I would like to see it hanging from the crane though, like a Gamekeeper's Gibbet. Maybe for your next project.

Thanks. The setting from the picture is very interesting, but I would never be able to finish it. The fact that I finished this model the same year I started it is a huge accomplishment for me. I have thought about making something similar with one of my 1/48th scale Bf109s though. :)

Jens

Great looking 109 Jens. The scheme is really well executed.

I have an interest in this 109 as the photo was taken in Sheffield.

I think building this aircraft in the condition shown in the photograph would make for an interesting model.

One of my favorite aircraft. Why was the swastika painted over?

It's an interesting story.

While JG 53 was making a reputation for itself during the Battle of Britain, according to RAF Air Ministry intelligence summary no 60, Reichsmarschall Hermann Göring was informed that Major Jurgen von Cramon-Taubadel's wife was Jewish. Göring then ordered the whole of Stab/JG 53[1] to remove the "Pik As" emblem from their planes, and replace it with a red stripe around the engine cowling as punishment. All of Stab./JG 53's planes immediately were stripped of their "Pik As" insignia, and soon after the whole of the Stab./JG 53 had also stripped the swastikas off the tails of their planes in protest.[2] During this phase of the Battle of Britain, Stab.JG 53's planes were easily recognizable because of the red band and the absence of a swastika on the tail of their Bf-109's. On 30 September Major Günther Freiherr von Maltzahn became Kommodore and the Stab.JG53 was allowed to paint the "Pik As" back on their Bf-109's, removing the red band from their cowlings.

Courtesy of Wikipedia.

You can see the red band under the white paint on the cowling. Excellent attention to detail there, Jens.

As this is Battle of Britain period, I'm now wondering if the nose was actually yellow?

Edited by per ardua ad ostentationem

Great looking 109 Jens. The scheme is really well executed.

I have an interest in this 109 as the photo was taken in Sheffield.

I think building this aircraft in the condition shown in the photograph would make for an interesting model.

Thanks FZ6. I was actually inspired by another build of this aircraft here on BM. It was made from the Matchbox 1/32nd scale kit.

You can see the red band under the white paint on the cowling. Excellent attention to detail there, Jens.

As this is Battle of Britain period, I'm now wondering if the nose was actually yellow?

Thanks. :)

I am pretty sure the nose and rudder were white. This is described in the crash report, and it is known that Luftwaffe used both yellow and white noses, rudders etc. during the BoB.

Jens