Spitfire HFVII code colours (high altitude scheme)

PhilHoff

Hello,

I am trying to figure out the colour of the codes on Spitfire VII in high altitude scheme (PRU blue / medium sea grey). On some pictures, they appear very light, they could be taken as white, but on other pictures, they appear definitely not white, and look more like sky codes.

Example of very light code (could be an effect of the lightening of the picture):

web-5.jpg

And example of "not so light and certainly not white" codes:

Spit%20VII%20NX-Q%20photo.jpg

Does someone has informations on these colours?

Philippe

The Victory Productions "Aces of the Empire" sheet has the codes for Pete Brother's machine in white, although these codes were personal. I have never seen illustrations of a Mark VIII with sky codes, but on that picture they certainly don't look white.

Personally I used Sky, but in the interests of balance I should point out that in the relevant Camouflage & Markings James Goulding says they were Sky Grey. This is one of those rare occasiosn when I think he may be wrong.

There is a very interesting series of pictures in "Spitfire At War 3" (pp 73-80) showing that at least some 131 Sq aircraft (eg MD172 NX-L and the OC's aircraft "Spirit of Kent") had their codes outlined very finely in a dark colour, probably black. Since the outlining is about 3/8" wide full size, I disregarded it in 1/72 though I think the transfers for the CMR kit depict it.

Nick

Philippe,

Personally I would go for Sky, as you say not white, only leaves Sky as a paint they would have to easily have to hand......

Colin

Philippe,

Personally I would go for Sky, as you say not white, only leaves Sky as a paint they would have to easily have to hand......

Colin

Philippe,

The Kopro 1/72nd Spitfire VII kit sheet has codes in Sky for 602 Squadron (MD114 DU-G) when in the Orkneys (note this, Colin!) Feb 1944 when it shot down a Bf109 recce fighter, Sky for MD188 PB with no other code from Culmhead Wing June 1944, Sky for ON-W, no serial visible, of 124 Squadron, Bradwell Bay June 1944 and Sky with thin black outline NX-O MD120 of 131 Squadron, Colerne March 1944. The last one is 'named' Spirit Of Kent in white on the fuselage ahead of the cockpit port side.

All are Medium Sea Grey over PRU blue. DU-G has r/w/b fin flash and fuselage roundel, the others have just r/b fin and fuselage roundels; all have r/b upper wing roundels and no lower wing roundels at all. PB and ON-W have full w/b/w/b/w invasion stripes above and below the wings with full fuselage stripes as well.

I have no other references for their markings, just the kit itself so I cannot give any honest credibility to the Kopro choice of colours or even overall schemes, but it ooes seem to follow the trend that others have suggested. Perhaps they followed the same logical path that everybody else has followed. It may not be correct, but it is the most reasonable choice!

Best Wishes,

John

When the orders, for the new high-altitude scheme, were issued, no mention was made of code letters, just the roundels. In the absence of anything to the contrary, logic (that again!) dictates that sky should be used.

Edgar

• 2 weeks later...

The Kopro 1/72nd Spitfire VII kit sheet has codes in Sky for 602 Squadron (MD114 DU-G) when in the Orkneys (note this, Colin!) Feb 1944 when it shot down a Bf109 recce fighter

For what it's worth, the Red Roo team looked at this photo and went for white codes for MD114. (It was actually assigned to the Skeabrae station flight rather than a squadron). I doubt there will be a definitive conclusion to this question but it's all interesting!

spit_vii_rr.jpg

The Kopro 1/72nd Spitfire VII kit sheet has codes in Sky for 602 Squadron (MD114 DU-G) when in the Orkneys (note this, Colin!) Feb 1944 when it shot down a Bf109 recce fighter

For what it's worth, the Red Roo team looked at this photo and went for white codes for MD114. (It was actually assigned to the Skeabrae station flight rather than a squadron). I doubt there will be a definitive conclusion to this question but it's all interesting!

spit_vii_rr.jpg

That photo, together with another of the same aircraft, appears on p.80 of "Spitfire At War 3". With better reproduction there's a pretty clear tonal variation between the white of the roundel and the code letters, so again my favoured non-white suggestion is sky.

NB the black area on the wingroot: would be interested in thoughts on whether this is a painted walkway area or maybe a rubber mat.

Nick

Dear All,

Codes for NX-Q are not white.......! Albeit it is tempting to go for that.

Look at photo in start of thread, it has white in 'D' Day stripes, codes are plainly not white! They have to be MSG or Sky......Sky being my bet... DU-G, same again look at the white in the roundels....

Sky I feel, a colour readily available.

Colin

Edited by Colin S-K