New Airfix 1/72nd Spitfire, Seafire & others

Nick Millman

Judging from the newsletter it looks as though the new Airfix 1/72nd Spitfire is going to be marketed in two separate versions, the Mk IXc (A02065) and a PRXIX (A02017). In addition the club exclusive for 2009 will includes a new 1/72nd Seafire IIc (together with the Swordfish & Wildcat) which will not be available elsewhere.

Also said to be "new" is a 1/72 Bf 109G (A02029). Whether it is really new or a re-issue of their old "starving horse" I don't know!

Re-issues include the Widgeon/Gosling, Walrus, Bv141 & FW189, all welcome. There is also a Buccaneer in 1/72 described as new and offering 3 variations - S2B/S2-C-DS Mk 50.

Edited by Nick Millman

Judging from the newsletter it looks as though the new Airfix 1/72nd Spitfire is going to be marketed in two separate versions, the Mk IXc (A02065) and a PRXIX (A02017). In addition the club exclusive for 2009 will includes a new 1/72nd Seafire IIc (together with the Swordfish & Wildcat) which will not be available elsewhere.

Also said to be "new" is a 1/72 Bf 109G (A02029). Whether it is really new or a re-issue of their old "starving horse" I don't know!

Re-issues include the Widgeon/Gosling, Walrus, Bv141 & FW189, all welcome. There is also a Buccaneer in 1/72 described as new and offering 3 variations - S2B/S2-C-DS Mk 50.

I beleive the Buccaneer is an update of the old S2B kit with additions for Gulf War parts

I beleive the Buccaneer is an update of the old S2B kit with additions for Gulf War parts

Be nice if they back dated it to include the S1 variant :pray:

Bex

Thanks Jonathan. Amazing they should issue a new 109G. How did it look?

Graham, could the XIX be a MPM re-pop? I seem to remember Airfix issued a MPM XIX in one of their box sets as PS915 of the BoB Flight? They seem to be doing business with MPM (unfortunately)!

The actual wording is: "The Spitfire will appear as A02017 Spitfire PRXIX, as well as A02065 Supermarine Spitfire MK IXc". Against the IX entry with mock up box art it says will come with 2 kit variations.

Regards

Nick

There is also a Buccaneer in 1/72 described as new and offering 3 variations - S2B/S2-C-DS Mk 50.

New bits for the SAAF tanks, SNEB pods, AN/ALQ 101, Pave Spike, Paveway II, Sidewinder and leading edge bullet fairings, decals for S.2D No.809 NAS, S.Mk.50 No.24 Sqn SAAF, S.2B "Lynn/Jaws" Gulf and an S.2B No.12 Sqn RAF (low viz grey scheme).

Hee-hee,a nice PRXIX will be good.I hope there's decals for "The Last" in it.

The Bucc with naval decals and bits,very nice.I ca see Aeroclub and Airwaves doing a good trade with their bits.

A nice new 109G too,is it -4 or -6??

I've always fancied doing Black 6 and a G-6 as my trusty IL-2 combat steed.

Mark

As Nick said, bet the PR XIX will be the MPM kit first included in the BBMF full set in the late 1990's. It's not the worst kit in the world but as usual there are no location points for the major airframe parts. The test shots of the Mk IX look good; maybe the old one will be retired at last.

Tony :clif:

Here's the test shot of the Spitfire IX and Me109G

not a great quality picture, sorry

BAC, thanks a lot for the pic! It looks like the 109 is real good! Can't wait to see the sprues, as well as those of the new Spitfire IX. I also hope I can get a Widgeon/Gosling this time.

as opposed to SNEB/MATRA 68mm pods

Dave, that's VERY interesting. I must confess I didn't know about that rocket pod, much less that it was actually used during the war :blink:

My deepest gratitude to both, guys.

Cheers,

Jorge.

I have to admit that I am quite excited to read (and see) that Airfix is coming out with an all new 1/72 Spitfire Mk.IX I am hopeful that they will 'get it right' so to speak.

I have a number of RCAF Spitfire projects that I want to do, but I have not been impressed with what is currently out there and have held back while trying to find a suitable solution to address the short comings that I have found with the Hasegawa kit (Italeri kits have their problems as well and neither Hasegawa nor Italeri are quite right to begin with). I have even purchased a few of the CMK kits and for the price, while all that resin is quite lovely, even they seem to have some discrepancies (especially when a relative comparison is made to Airifx's old Mk.Vb which, from all that I have come across and read, is accepted to be the most correct 1/72 kit out there, even for it's age).

Perhaps Airfix's new Spit will allow me to finally get started on all those projects - keeping my fingers crossed!

......(especially when a relative comparison is made to Airifx's old Mk.Vb which, from all that I have come across and read, is accepted to be the most correct 1/72 kit out there, even for it's age).

Actually no, it is the Airfix Mk.I which is held up as the best overall. The Mk.V has problems with the wing.

Has anyone yet commented on the outline of the fuselage, the gull wing or the wing bulges yet on the Spit?? Just starting to stir the pot. :-) :deadhorse: