Sopwith Camel and Fokker DR1

TerryJones

A friend of mine sent the link to this site as there is some great stuff on here. Anyway I thought I'd join and post some of my work. I love WW1 aviation and thought I'd start with this one.

Based on a combat from the book "Winged Victory" (page 218) a very thinly disguised autobiography by W. V Yeates of his time in 46 Squadron in 1918.

"Tom got one more or less in his Aldis and went in with a long burst,turning onto it's tail.The thing reared up in front of him in a sort of upward roll"

"Winged Victory" Oil on canvas 22" x 18.5"

_DSC0010copy8-1-1.jpg

For anyone interested, this is the process I used for this particular painting.

I photographed a couple of models in my living room, cut n pasted them for an idea of composition and light.

_DSC0057-1.jpg

Used Joe De Marco's APM to create the two models, http://www.aviart.info/pdf/apm-users-guide.pdfFile3-1.jpg

APM plot drawn in,

File1-1.jpg

Rough shading of drawing

File2-1.jpg

Blocked the aircraft in on the background and carried on from there making changes as it went along

_DSC0044-1.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Terry

Edited by TerryJones

Very nice Terry. You have a style that reminds me a little of Russell Smith's work and of course the subject matter is also similar. Always good to see the work that is done prior to producing the finished image. The only minor point I can see is the fuselage of the Camel looks a little thin around the cockpit but only notice it after studying and enjoying your image at length.

Thanks Col,

I'm not sure how familiar you are with the Sopwith Camel, don't be thrown by the photo of the model, it's one of those crap Hobbycraft kits, too many issues to mention. I only used it for lighting ideas and can assure you the painting is far more accurate.

Terry

Thanks Col,

I'm not sure how familiar you are with the Sopwith Camel, don't be thrown by the photo of the model, it's one of those crap Hobbycraft kits, too many issues to mention. I only used it for lighting ideas and can assure you the painting is far more accurate.

Terry

Must admit I'm showing my ignorance on the subject here Terry :sorry: Your method certainly produces a fantastic image. Anything else on the easel at the moment?

Nice to see the WIP run through Terry - you invest the right sort of time and care to the process.

Joe's program is excellent for compositional set ups - still strange how your brain can invert the raw APM plot though!

Thanks Neil,

I know what you mean about inverting the raw APM image, I have to keep a small model handy to keep my eyes focused on the intended view.

I don't know if you are aware of Joe's health but he was diagnosed with cancer recently. He is having chemo therapy at the moment and suffering quite badly.

He is still very much on the ball though and sent me a number of emails last night in relation to art. He is an absolutely amazing guy, over 90 year old in the grips of one of the most terrible diseases and he still maintains a positive attitude and of course still has one of the sharpest brains on the planet. Lets hope we keep him that bit longer.

Cheers

Terry

Must admit I'm showing my ignorance on the subject here Terry :sorry: Your method certainly produces a fantastic image. Anything else on the easel at the moment?

No apologies necessary Col, you have a keen eye and I really appreciate you taking the time to look at my work and giving your observations, besides which, in comparison to the model you where perfectly right.

I've got a couple of finished pieces, a MiG-21 and a Vulcan, and a couple under way, a Red Arrows tribute and a Sopwith Pup (almost finished) I'll post some images as soon as I can.

Cheers,

Terry

Terry

Sorry to hear about Joe - one of the truly great characters I have encountered in life. A highly accomplished artist whose prints I treasure.

Got involved with him back in the late 90's or so ref automating the APM process on computer - not me directly - I just knew a friend who sorted it for us. I still turn to APM for answers and enjoy seeing a solid pencil image emerge from the plot as you add detail.

Neil

Edited by NeilF92

Terry

Sorry to hear about Joe - one of the truly great characters I have encountered in life. A highly accomplished artist whose prints I treasure.

Got involved with him back in the late 90's or so ref automating the APM process on computer - not me directly - I just new a friend who sorted it for us. I still turn to APM for answers and enjoy seeing a solid pencil image emerge from the plot as you add detail.

Neil

He certainly is a great character and no slouch when it comes to art work. I have the pleasure of owning one of his originals, the photo doesn't do it justice.

BristolFighter-1.jpg

• 1 month later...
That's amazing work, Terry.

I just spent some time perusing your website and I must say you have some really stunning pieces in there.

Thank you for your comment on the painting and for taking the time to have a look at the website, very much appreciated :) and my apologies for not responding to your post earlier.

Cheers

Terry

No problem, Terry.

Artwork like yours reminds me that I really have to get my own rust out. I've been trying to get back into the sketchbook habit over the past two years, but I get so busy with English teaching work....