Another Revell 1/48 F-4C/D

I'm in with this Spook

Toom001.jpg

Here are the sprue and plans/decals shots

Toom002.jpg

Toom003.jpg

I really don't know when I'll have any progress to show, cos I'm already suffering GB fatigue from the Harrier and Hawk GBs,

but I just couldn't say no to this one!

It's good that this is a looonnngg GB, hopefully I'll finish in time. I intend to build OOB, but the seeds of doubt have already been sown-

someone said on here that this kit's most noticeable "failing" is the exhaust cans, and recommended some aftermarket items,

so those may become a "must-have" before I'm done...

I'm just building a RF-4B using the Aires set for it, which uses long burner cans, but as some RF-4B's have short cans (like the F-4C/D), I have those spare. They won't have the burner sections, just the exhaust petals, which are going spare if you want them. PM me with an addy if you do.

Ted

I'm just building a RF-4B using the Aires set for it, which uses long burner cans, but as some RF-4B's have short cans (like the F-4C/D), I have those spare. They won't have the burner sections, just the exhaust petals, which are going spare if you want them. PM me with an addy if you do.

Ted

Oh, yes please! PM inbound!

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I've made a start on this. Done the 'pit

Modelson2411005.jpg

and closed up the fuselage.

Modelson2411004.jpg

The wings are now assembled, but the glue is still curing, so no pics yet...

The next pics will show an assembled airframe, this kit comes together quickly...

Hi nurse looking good mate!I cant seemto find out how to mail from your nook of the world to mine re the Hind nose but am working on it!I've started on a revell 72nd F4F in the morning and If my kit is anything to go by yours will come along VERY fast watch for a gap at the wingroots though!Use a broad rubber band and stick on the wings before putting on the upturned tips starting at opposite ends pulling the tips towards each other that makes the gap noticeably smaller.Other than that I dont think that this kit will give you any problems as looking at your sprue shots the 2 kits look very similar and thus the pitfalls should be more or less the same!

Regards:

Shaun

No pics this time, but the intakes are a PITA! The way the bird is moulded leaves a seam on the outer surface of the intake.

There is no positive location to align the upper (separate) and lower (part of the wing moulding) parts. It took me several attempts and finished up

with me holding the parts in alignment against a small amount of tension 'til the cement cured.

Still, most of the airframe is together now. Hopefully I'll have some pix later, but SWMBO has gone to a wedding this morning, and has taken the

camera with her...

There is some paint on the airframe too...

@Shaun: I'd forgotten about those Hind-A parts! Thanks for the reminder. I have them packed in a box ready for you- I did think there was a

cabin window missing (which was why I didn't build that option) but I found it loose in the kit box after all! Thanks for the tip about the Phantom wings.

I actually found that there wasn't a problem and it was a snug fit. When (not if!) I build a Revell 1/72 Double Ugly, that knowledge will be helpful...

Hi nurse.Sounds good looking forward to the pics and mine is both almost finished enjoy therest of the build will talk to you soon!

Regards :

Shaun

• 1 month later...

It's such a long time since there was anything posted in this thread, I thought I ought to

show a bit of progress. Here's where we're up to:

gustav001.jpg

Unfortunately it has proved to be impossible to use the resin exhaust cans so generously donated by Rhino, the aperture they

fit into on the Hasegawa kit must be of a smaller diameter than the gaps provided by Revell! I just couldn't secure them and

make it look right, not without dismantling the fuselage anyway. . .

So it's back to Revell's cans. Hopefully painting will improve the look of them.

Unfortunately it has proved to be impossible to use the resin exhaust cans so generously donated by Rhino, the aperture they

fit into on the Hasegawa kit must be of a smaller diameter than the gaps provided by Revell! I just couldn't secure them and

make it look right, not without dismantling the fuselage anyway. . .

So it's back to Revell's cans. Hopefully painting will improve the look of them.

Ay up Gaz,

Great work so far on a beast of a kit :worthy: Re: the Resin cans, you need to cut a large chunk of plastic out of the bottom of the fuselage before you put the wings on, or as youve got the wings on, cut the resin tubes and shorten them, but that, Im afraid will be pure guess work to get right.

Bexy

Ay up Gaz,

Great work so far on a beast of a kit :worthy: Re: the Resin cans, you need to cut a large chunk of plastic out of the bottom of the fuselage before you put the wings on, or as youve got the wings on, cut the resin tubes and shorten them, but that, Im afraid will be pure guess work to get right.

Bexy

Thanks, Bex! I've concluded that the easiest way forward is to use the kit cans, with a bit of careful paintwork, dry-brushing and colour washes I should be able to

make something of them. . .

• 4 weeks later...

Beginner-level Error No.234.

As it says above, a silly mistake. (I know, all my models are mistakes!)

Look at this picture.

Toom001.jpg

Looks fine, doesn't it?

Now look at this one.

Toom003.jpg

In my defence, that was where the canopy "arch" seemed to fit. How I laughed!

Repairs are ongoing. . .

• 2 weeks later...

It's a while since I posted on here, so here's an update.

I've been kept a bit busy with the Emergency Services GB, but I do have progress to show.

Airframe assembly is complete, as is painting, decalling and varnishing. I've had my usual

problem with getting a finish I like from matt varnish. I just never seem to achieve smooth

and clear with no brush strokes, although I'm beginning to get thinness in the matt coat now.

Anyway, here she is:

toom001-1.jpg

toom002-1.jpg

In the meantime, I'm painting the ordnance.

I found a "where are they now?" type picture on the net (and promptly lost it again!) showing this particular aircraft

today. It's now a gate guardian at Nellis AFB, pylon mounted in a "steep climb" attitude, and looking ( to coin a phrase)

Mean, Moody and Magnificent. If I'd seen that before I started, I'd have built her like that. . .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
I've managed to find that lost picture of 64-0806 as she is today. I can't post it here, the site hosting it won't let me,

but you can find it here.

I am going to try to make it to Nellis this week to visit a friend and specifically see 64-0806. My father flew this very aircraft during his tour in VietNam in 1968. He was an instructor in the F-4, and was giving a "check ride" to a new pilot that had just rotated in, meaning he flew "GIB" while the new guy was "pilot in command". During the pre-mission briefing (the check ride was an actual mission) my father instructed him to stay at altitude until right before delivering the ordnance, then dive in, deliver, and get the hell out of there. Unfortunately, the hotshot new guy had his own ideas, and came in low on the target to deliver the bomb load. One round from ground fire struck the aircraft near the forward missile station and punched a hole between the front and rear seats. There were no injuries to either of the aircrew, but my father, upon landing back at base, dressed the young hotshot down. Having been on the receiving end of some of his lectures during my youth, I can imagine how he felt when my father was through "talking to him". Anyway, if I do manage to make it to Nellis, I will certainly take lots of photos and would be very happy to upload one or more of them to the site. Nice job on the model, by the way. Thanks for your hard work-

Roger C. Fields

Eagle Mountain, Utah, USA