Malian Air Force Mil Mi-24 'Hind D'

Smudge

The Africa GB gives me a prompt to do some colourful and off beat subjects. The DP Casper Helicopters in Africa decal sheet offers some inspiring subjects. The Malian Hind really took my fancy.

Using the old Hasegawa 1/72 Mil Mi-24 Hind D kit for this one, as I have had it in the stash for some time and it looks quite nice. 

Some reference pictures.

http://defenceturk.com/index.php?topic=6429.0

Pictures of the kit and decals to follow :)

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Smudge said:

The Africa GB gives me a prompt to do some colourful and off beat subjects. The DP Casper Helicopters in Africa decal sheet offers some inspiring subjects. The Malian Hind really took my fancy.

Using the old Hasegawa 1/72 Mil Mi-24 Hind D kit for this one, as I have had it in the stash for some time and it looks quite nice. 

Some reference pictures.

http://defenceturk.com/index.php?topic=6429.0

Pictures of the kit and decals to follow :)

What a great choice, Iain!!!! :) Go Mali!!! ;)

Martin

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Nice choice, I have the same decal sheet and shall be joining in with a Hind of my own before too long.

Thank you. It's a great sheet isn't it. I'm sure I will be doing quite a few of them (not in the GB though!) Looking forward to seeing which one you do.

2 hours ago, Col. said:

Damn it man, those reference pictures are tempting me to dig out my own Mi-24 from the stash! Nice subject choice :speak_cool:

Sorry about that :) Thank you.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Leaning heavily towards Djibouti, I think we need to do our best to cover as many actual African nations as possible in this GB rather than just re-do the Med GB.

Cool, and yes absolutely, that's what I was thinking too. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

rather than just re-do the Med GB.

A very sound call, mate! It’s a opportunity to file away the Balkenkreuz, type D roundels and stars and bars, and to venture in to the world of the less well known :)

• Like 4

Ok, so here we go with some pictures of the kit and the decal sheet.

20210220_151440

20210220_151358

And this is the subject I hope to replicate. Mali Air Force.

20210220_151516

I doubt if I'll be doing much construction today, but I have spent a little time trying to work out some colours to use. The decal sheet call outs are Humbrol. 89 blue for the underside seem's a good match. Not too sure about 119 for the dark brown, possibly a tad dark when looking at photos. However 24 is Trainer Yellow and that is definitely not a match :D

• Like 8

16 hours ago, Smudge said:

The decal sheet call outs are Humbrol. 89 blue for the underside seem's a good match. Not too sure about 119 for the dark brown, possibly a tad dark when looking at photos. However 24 is Trainer Yellow and that is definitely not a match :D

Take a look at Colourcoats, mate. They have some Mil helicopters  Colours in their Soviet range.

Edit: thinking about it further, these aircraft came from Bulgaria (I think) and so exact matches will be difficult and the Soviet range probably isn’t correct

Martin

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Take a look at Colourcoats, mate. They have some Mil helicopters  Colours in their Soviet range.

Good idea, Martin. I was thinking that the colours looked similar to those on the Hasegawa box top, so Soviet era colours might work. Unfortunately the Colourcoats range doesn't seem to include anything like them.  (I think I might get some for future projects though)

I have got their interior 'Turquoise' though, that should brighten things up a bit :)

14 hours ago, Col. said:

Hu119 and Hu24 would leave it looking like some sort of chocolate and custard pudding :eat:

Yes, and it would certainly stand out on the shelf B) 

• Like 1

@Robert Stuart hey thanks for the suggestion. I think I have looked at these before. They look nice but, but I can't find a UK supplier. Who/where would you recommend? 

I found this, which looks like it might do. (The actual Soviet Helicopters set doesn't have the sand or brown).

http://lindenhillimports.com/store/p153/AKAN47320.html#/

If I could get some of these sets, I think they would be cool for some of my Soviet/Warsaw Pact stuff.

• Like 1

Think Coastal Craft Models used to sell Akan paints.  Their site is down, but they may still be active, see the oist on 25 Nov 2020 post here:

Looking at the Linden Hill site, these are the ones I'd look at first:
Russian Helicopters https://www.lindenhillimports.com/store/p139/AKAN47303.html#/
Russian Helicopters 2016 https://www.lindenhillimports.com/store/p1186/AKAN47362.html#/

Linden Hill also list single colours from Akan: https://www.lindenhillimports.com/store/c70/Rus_Acrylics_–_singles.html#/
(How many different blues do the Russians need?)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

........................ Hinds from Mali on the net and they are definitely not painted in standard Soviet/Russian colours, nor trainer yellow either. I some lights they actually look very close to the colours worn by the Desert Air Force (dark earth/mid stone over azure blue).

Yes, I would have to agree. They really are quite unusual. That's why I like 'em B)

I did look at the Desert colours, they are close. 

1 hour ago, Foxbat said:

................... but I have a Vallejo set 71.601 (Soviet Helicopters Cold War to Present) that covers pretty much everything else.

Thank you, filed for future reference. Easy to get hold of, too.

So I have been rummaging through my Humbrol enamels (I'm a bit old school/just old). Here's are a few I picked out,

Hind

I'm leaning towards 63 Matt Sand, and possibly 119 Dark Brown.

Anyway, leaving that for while. Here is how I got on earlier today. Rather a basic cockpit, but at least the seats look nice and it has a cyclic and collective (Helicopter speak for controls :coolio: ) The cockpit canopy is one piece, no doors. So it'll all be closed up anyway. Nothing in the cabin, that'll be closed up too.

2021-02-21_07-13-38

A few panels needed fitting to the fuselage. I suspect because the Hasegawa kit also comes as a A and a E variant, and these are some of the differences. Also fitted the cabin doors, because as mentioned, no interior detail. I have to say the fit of all these parts so far is amazingly precise. Which bodes well.

2021-02-21_07-13-17

Nice sandy coloured plastic, too :)

Cheers Guys.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

(How many different blues do the Russians need?)

:D or sandy browns :)

I did see a colour in one of the Soviet/Russian sets called Mustard, which looked quite like the Malian sandy colour.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smudge said:

So I have been rummaging through my Humbrol enamels (I'm a bit old school/just old).

There’s nothing wrong with that, mate :)

Martin (a happy Humbrol (and Colourcoat) user)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Martin.

Not too bad. I have been tinkering away. I need to take a few pictures and get them posted up. Hopefully when I get home from work tomorrow 😬

Cheers.