Mach2 1/72 PBR 31 Mk.II 'Pibber'

Smudge

The Pibber has arrived.

C-123%20007.jpg

C-123%20008.jpg

Tried to get hold of a copy of Squadron Signal reference book on the Vietnam Riverine forces, but no luck. Still, a few pictures on the old www which should help.

Really looking forward to this one. Need to clear a bit of space on the bench first though. Can any one recommend a good aftermarket source to replace some of the weapons? Maybe some brass etch or resin? M60's/M62's and M16A1 I think? The kit ones are ok but I am sure we could do better. Also maybe some ammo boxes and general stores to busy things up a bit.

I'm no armour modeller, so equipment wise this will all be a bit new.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 6

Thanks for your interest guys. I already feel slightly under pressure!

Seriously though, thanks for pointing me in the right direction re the 'guns' and the kind offer of help, Sgt.

Here are a couple of pics of the kit parts. They're no so bad I suppose, considering.

123%20002.jpg

123%20003.jpg

Need a bit of a clean up (understatement). I am surprised there is not more available in after market bits and bobs for US military stuff (showing my ignorance of any sort of proper terminology) considering I found some nice German and Russian stuff on Hannants web site.

I was supposed to get on with the C-123 a bit before starting the Pibber, but I got kind of carried away.

123%20001.jpg

Started cleaning a few bits up, then stuck them together. Unfortunately I did rush on a bit, and after securely fastening the back (stern) of the Pibber together (see picture above and note the three clamps) I realised that there was a bit of an issue. The stern of the Pibber is flat/straight across its top line, and I had clamped it to a slightly sunken/depressed hull. So after realising the error of my ways I released the clamps and loosened the upper part.

123%20005.jpg

The stern of the hull has obviously suffered a bit of sagging. I will try to fix this with some small inserts of plastic card. Best to do the research first, then glue the kit parts, not the other way round!

Cheers.

Some more on weapons.

You can get M-16s and M-79s from these guys. Hannants might carry them.

http://www.okbgrigorov.com/

The 72nd scale ACAV kits come with a couple nice M-60 (much better than in the Mach 2 box). Not sure you want to buy a whole kit just for a couple guns but maybe someone has some left over.

Would be ESCI/Italeri or Trumpeter versions.

Extra Tech also do some weapons in PE but not sure how convincing these would be.

http://www.pmilona.cz/doplky-1-72/264-moderni-zapadni-palne-zbran.html

• Like 1

With a (very) careful cleanup the kit M60 LMGs & M16s should look OK.....I can certainly find you a better pair of .50cals for the forward turret. I may have some ESCI Vietnam Special Forces figures, if I can dig 'em out I'll send you what I have spare (finding them is going to be a right mission). PM me with your contact details and I'll get something sorted.

I can heartily recommend Wee Friends.....Ian is a splendid fellow and his products and service are second to none. :coolio:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/ian_friendship_models?_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2754

If he doesn't have what you are after listed get in touch anyway, if he can help out, in my experience, he will. :thumbsup:

PS - I can recommend OKB Grigorov too.....Sometimes takes a little longer, but they're in Bulgaria, so no surprises there! :wicked:

• Like 1

Thanks for all the links guys. I have had a quick look, I'm sure I should be able to find plenty of suitable stuff from that lot. Amazing what's out there when you know where to look!

With a (very) careful cleanup the kit M60 LMGs & M16s should look OK.....I can certainly find you a better pair of .50cals for the forward turret. I may have some ESCI Vietnam Special Forces figures, if I can dig 'em out I'll send you what I have spare (finding them is going to be a right mission). PM me with your contact details and I'll get something sorted.

Thanks Sgt. I don't want to put you to any bother. I was thinking about those ESCI figures, they might have some in my local shop, at least I'm sure I saw some in there once. I will pop in and have a look.

If I get really stuck I will drop you a line.

Cheers for the Apocalypse Now clip, I am going to try and watch the film this weekend, for research purposes :popcorn:

'My orders say I'm not supposed to know where I'm taking this boat, so I don't! But one look at you, and I know it's gonna be hot!

• Like 1

Hi Snapper, followed that link and have to say never seen that RAG boat kit before. A bit of Googling revealed it as predecessor to the PBR/Riverine craft, probably a local conversion used by French forces during their Indo-China campaign. Certainly no mention of it in my Osprey publication 128 Vietnam Riverine Craft 1962-75. It would look good in a diorama with the Revell PCF.

Shame, I don't think there is a 1/48 PBR, but the Tamiya 1/35 kit is probably about as good as it get's. I am 1/72 guy myself, and mostly aviation subjects. I hope to display my PBR with a suitable 'chopper of some description. Huey or Jolly Green, or maybe under a SkyCrane. But that's for the future.

longshanks, thanks for the link to the PCF build. I have been following it (for ideas, ha ha) I would like one of these in 1/72, look great next to the pibber.

Cheers guys.

• Like 1

Should have known Monogram would have done one. Now where to find one.

Seen that and was thinking of it as an alternative for what l have planned down the road

• 3 weeks later...

The PBR is coming together. Ok, so it's Mach2 and there is a fair old bit of parts clean up required, but it's nothing too demanding and I am really enjoying the change from aircraft kits.

Here are a few of the smaller parts after a bit of the aforementioned cleaning up.

Bow turret, 50 cals and the spot light. Drilled out the light and inserted a 'little lens'.

pbramp123%20003.jpg

Anchor, and Fire Extinguisher (Fires, out, for the use of)

pbramp123%20002.jpg

Stern 50 cal and armoured shield, plus one of the M60's after a bit of fettling.

pbramp123%20001.jpg

Nav radar and lights on the main mast.

pbramp123%20004.jpg

Started with a bit of painting. Need to do the cockpit before the canopy goes on.

pbramp123%20005.jpg

Working on my dry brushing and highlighting techniques, which are a bit hit and miss at the best of times.

Looking at pictures of these vessels, they appear to be quite a dark green. So I have gone with this Humbrol shade.

pbramp123%20006.jpg

Hope you like it!

Cheers.

(I am being summoned for the 'Strictly' results. Catch up latter)

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Smudge
  • Like 4