Polar lights Back to the Future Time Machine x2

I'm not a regular WIP poster, mainly because I tend to get distracted before i finish things and wander off to something else, but as I'm committed to this one then why not.
with all the interest in Back to the Future lately i was asked by a friend at work to build him a Delorean Time Machine. as payment I get a second one to keep for myself. His favourite is the flying version and mine is the white wall tyre part 3 version, so on a recent trip to florida he bought these two clip together kits...

BTTF%20001_zpsvovg4zrl.jpg

now the polar lights kits are not the best on detail but they were dirt cheap aparently !!!! the body shells also come ready finished in a sliver brushed finish but to be honest i may have to re-do this due to the rather bad seams that need cleaning up...

BTTF%20002_zpsykr7akno.jpg

BTTF%20003_zpsjlogcrkf.jpg

starting on the interior, the detail and moulding is best described as OK...

BTTF%20004_zpse7buwstt.jpg

BTTF%20005_zpsuz3ersuq.jpg

BTTF%20006_zpsivoifwoy.jpg

but these cables won't do...

BTTF007_zpsptifiouu.jpg

so I cut them out and replaced them...

BTTF008_zpsgz9u8imu.jpg

I also added a few extras to cover up the rather plain bulkhead and to give a start point for the extra cables I plan to fit...

BTTF011_zpsynxayykl.jpg

BTTF010_zpsd9aa3ckh.jpg

BTTF012_zpsouxfkgqp.jpg

the hollow seats needed some attention so i added plasticard backs to them...

BTTF009_zps6i5mckcj.jpg

BTTF013_zpsbdnoj8ei.jpg

also the underside of the flying car will be visible so i cut out the "foot wells" and kit-bashed something a little more like the film model...

BTTF014_zpslx1rsl19.jpg

BTTF015_zpsvvffylbg.jpg

and the stand supplied in the kit is awful so i had a brainwave and ordered a clock face from e-bay and turned an aluminium base that's supposed to give the impression of the clock from the film...

BTTF017b_zpsvqtwew76.jpg

at the moment I'm working on the dashboards. I can't see the point of painting all the wires in when i can just glue real ones on...

BTTF016_zpsixzgxz72.jpg

BTTF017_zpsppwjgwsd.jpg

Edited by theanorak73
  • Like 2

more work on the super fiddly interiors. not helped by the fact that most of it is one molding, so you cant just paint things and stick them together.

lots and lots of touching up to do. a wash should help blend it all together :winkgrin:

BTTF019_zpsnvl2sopx.jpg

BTTF020_zpsuwuiiwcr.jpg

Edited by theanorak73
  • Like 2