RAF Red Arrows Hawk

Paul A H

RAF Red Arrows Hawk

1:72 Airfix

rahawkboxtop.jpg

When the RAF began the search for a new fast jet trainer to replace the Folland Gnat, it was originally envisaged that the role would be fulfilled by the SEPECAT Jaguar. However, the advanced capabilities demanded of the new Anglo-French aircraft meant that it became too complex for the intended role. As a result, Hawker Siddley Aviation began work on the P.1182 in 1968 as a private venture. The design team of Gordon Hudson, Gordon Hodson and Ralph Hooper produced a relatively simple, subsonic aircraft which sported a number of clever features. The fuselage was designed around the large, tandem cockpit, which featured a significant difference in height between the seat for student in the front and that for the instructor in the back. This afforded the instructor a much better view than he had in the Gnat. The design of the wings, and particularly the double-slotted flaps, give the Hawk excellent low-speed handling characteristics.

The first of the 176 Hawks ordered by the RAF entered service in 1976, designated the Hawk T.1. 88 T.1s were modified to T.1A standard, which allowed them to carry two AIM-9 Sidewinder missiles for use in the emergency air defence role. The Hawk’s reputation as an excellent aeroplane has been confirmed by the considerable success it has enjoyed in the export market. Users include the air forces of Australia, Canada, Finland, Indonesia, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates amongst others. A highly modified carrier capable version is in service with the United States Navy, where it is known as the T-45 Goshawk. The most famous role occupied by the Hawk, however, is as the mount of the world-renowned Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team – the Red Arrows.

Airfix’s latest edition of the popular BAe Hawk T.1 arrives in the now-familiar bright red top-opening box, which is appropriate given the subject matter. Inside are four sprues of light grey plastic and a single clear sprue, which together hold the 59 parts that make up the kit.

rahawk1.jpg

rahawk2.jpg

Now, some of you may be wondering why Airfix have chosen to release this model now, given that they already have a relatively up-to-date Red Arrows Hawk in their catalogue (A02005). The answer may just surprise you. Although Airfix haven’t made a fanfare about it, this kit has been significantly redesigned and improved in comparison to the (slightly) older tooling. Although the aforementioned kit belonged to the new generation of post-Hornby takeover products, it did have some weak points, most notably the rather deep panel lines. This revised version has gone some way towards addressing this, and other issues, and a very welcome update it is too.

The most obvious change is the arrangement of the parts on the sprues, which is completely different to the earlier moulding of the 1:72 Hawk. The panel lines are also finer and sharper, particularly around the wings, and the details on other parts such as the cockpit tub and the undercarriage also seems to be a little sharper than before. The surface of the plastic has also lost the slightly rough texture that it previously had. Elsewhere there are more structural changes. The wing fences are now moulded in place on the upper wings, whereas before they were provided as separate parts. The canopy is now moulded in one piece, and there is just one pilot provided instead of two.

rahawk3.jpg

rahawk4.jpg

As far as the general breakdown of parts in concerned, there aren’t many significant changes. The cockpit is still comprised of a large tandem tub, instrument panels, control columns and bulkheads. The ejection seats are basic but not too bad in terms of overall shape. Airfix have provided decals to represent details on the instrument panels and side consoles, as the plastic parts lack any raised detail. The jet exhaust and engine intakes are pretty much as they were too. Construction of the aforementioned wings has been simplified by the inclusion of integral wing fences.

rahawk5.jpg

Also mentioned previously, just the one pilot has been provided. Airfix have chosen to use a different figure to that provided in earlier versions of the kit as this one does not have separate parts for the arms. The cockpit has also been moulded in one piece instead of two, and so will have to be cut if you wish to display it in the open position. The smaller parts such as the blade aerials are very fine indeed, and in contrast to some Airfix kits of a couple of years ago, the sprue attachment points are generally very fine. The undercarriage is much the same as before, although the moulded details look a little sharper. The airbrake can be posed in the open or closed position. The under-fuselage smoke pod is nicely moulded and sets this Hawk aside from other variants.

rahawkdecals.jpg

As you might have expected, the decal sheet allows you to build any one of the nine Red Arrows Hawks, namely: XX227, XX242, XX264, XX266, XX306, XX308, XX319, XX322 and XX323. The decals are printed by Cartograf and are extremely clear and crisp. I don’t usually favour decals for the instrument panels and side consoles, but I have to say that the ones provided are extremely good indeed.

Conclusion

The Hawk seems to be a perennial favourite of modellers of British subjects, so it shouldn’t come as a surprise that Airfix have chosen to release numerous versions of the little jet over the years. I must admit I was pleasantly surprised to learn that Airfix have chosen to revisit and improve a relatively recent tooling such as this one, and I think the changes are generally positive. If you weren’t too keen on the original kit, I’d strongly recommend you pick on of these up and check out the changes for yourself. Recommended.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of logo.gif

im really surprised in this move by airfix, the last tool was far ahead of any other hawks on the market, but im slightly worried about a couple of things

pros - pannel lines and wing fences (although they dont look in the right place on quick inspection)

cons - now you cant open the cockpit unless you cut the clear part, and 1 pilot? what does this mean for the other boxing of the hawk kit (the black hawk)

now with over 50 of the old ones in my stash, i may get one to see what the comparison is, cos if its not broke.......

now with over 50 of the old ones in my stash, i may get one to see what the comparison is, cos if its not broke.......

If you've got fifty already, I'm sure one more won't hurt! :lol:

I see what you mean now. I thought that when I first saw it too, but I think it's because of the way the wings are laid out on the sprue. If you compare the angle of the fence to the relative angle of the trailing edge, it seems to square up ok. I'll just have to build it to be sure!

Good to see Airfix taking such an approach to what is a fairly modern tooling and while they must be praised accordingly it seems they have missed an ideal opportunity to correct other issues with this kit. My personal greatest issues lies within the cockpit and in particular the rear cockpit dimensions with the photos showing this is still too long; as a result the rear bulkhead is located too far back and the instrument panel shroud too long. Cannot tell if the rear cockpit floor angle is better than the previous issue but while I'm having a moan may as well point out the front instrument panel and its shroud still look wrong and too high as well.

Oh, yes, there's also still the spurious panel lines representing a non-existent set of kick-in steps on the right side of the forward fuselage that must have been copied from the left side.

It'll still be the kit I buy if I want to do another 72nd Hawk T.1 but it would be nice if they didn't repeat the same errors after going to the trouble of updating/retooling other parts.

Very interesting. A real surprise: all credit to Airfix. But one of the flaws with the Hornby era Hawk, and the one that troubled me the most, was the undersized undercarriage bays and inner doors. Has that been addressed? It's hard to tell for sure from the sprue shots.

Where next? The Bf 109G? The Bf 110? The MiG-15?

Edited by Seahawk

It'll still be the kit I buy if I want to do another 72nd Hawk T.1 but it would be nice if they didn't repeat the same errors after going to the trouble of updating/retooling other parts.

My sentiments exactly, Col. It was a missed opportunity to correct the undersized undercarriage doors too.

Mark.

Glad to see that Airfix has cleaned the panel lines and the plastic texture, well done for this !

However, a number of issues could have been sorted and they don't seem to have been. Guess these would have required a kind of investment considered excessive ?

A missed opportunity seems to be some differentiation between panel lines and moving surfaces: from the picture it seems to me that these are still all of the same type and depth... it would have been better to leave the moving surfaces as they were before.

The single piece canopy is IMHO a retrograde step. Yes, it might make the kit simpler for the younger modellers, but personally I prefer the original two piece part.

It will be interesting to see if the fit has been improved: the "original" kit had some problem in the wing-fuselage area and in the airbrake, would be great to see these sorted.

Rats, I just bought the old "new tool" Hawk. Heck, it hasn't even arrived yet! Oh well, that's what I get for being impulsive. Kudos to Airfix for re-tooling, even if they can't please everybody! :)

Cheers,

Bill

Has anyone any idea why they've done this? Since it took about 34 years to re-tool it from the original Airfix kit, I wonder whether the new tooling itself may have suffered some kind of damage. Isn't the actual metal cutting the most expensive part of producing a new kit any more?

Let me make it clear though, I am not complaining. I'm a confirmed Hawk fan and have old and new Airfix Hawks in the in-progress pile on my bench. It would have been nice to have the main undercarriage bay/doors and nose gear doors sorted out though. The panel lines don't seem any different in the sprue shots. Perhaps they are finer in the 'flesh'. I agree with Col on the cockpit issues but for me they aren't visible enough to worry about plus the one piece canopy will hide even more now.

The RA diesel/dye smoke pod still seems fashionably skinny to me. The original was based on a 100 gallon drop tank which is considerably fatter.

Bottom line for me? Good on yer Airfix. How about retooling the 1/48 Hawks next and adding a Hawk 200?

Phil.

The thinking behind not retooling the u/c doors may well be that the overwhelming majority of these kits will be built "gear up", and the shape and size of the doors is less significant in that configuration.

John

The thinking behind not retooling the u/c doors may well be that the overwhelming majority of these kits will be built "gear up", and the shape and size of the doors is less significant in that configuration.

John

[/quote

Thats valid point but not very good for those who wish to model kit with undercarrage down.there other Hawk

Kit which features a 100 squadron aircraft also includes those same in-accurate undercarrage doors an im sure thats a kit far less people will want to display in flight mode